Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 95 YJ with a 2.5 L motor, and I can't stand how freaking slow it is, so I think I saved up enough money to get a new engine and drop it in. I am not really good around cars but I do have help from a few friends. I heard people drop Cherokee 6 cyl into YJ's, but not to sure I want to do that, like if it will even fit... Overall, if anyone could give me advice I will be very thankfull. I want a good enough motor to actually turn 35's and lift it. Also, is there any problems I may run into? such as cooling...ect.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Well, I'll be glad to give you advice,but you may not like it. Sell your Jeep and buy another one with the 6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ I was thinking about doing that, but I figure it may just be cheaper to buy a engine sell my old one?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
No way. You'll come out way better to just go with another Jeep. You're looking at a huge job with tons of expense to make a serious changeoer like that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Put 35's on and regear it. Gears can take the place of horsepower you dont need a big engine to turn over big tires. But if you are dead set on an engine swap it would cheaper to just find chevy 350 and swap it in instead of an I6.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
CoreYJ said:
I recently bought a 95 YJ with a 2.5 L motor, and I can't stand how freaking slow it is, so I think I saved up enough money to get a new engine and drop it in. I am not really good around cars but I do have help from a few friends. I heard people drop Cherokee 6 cyl into YJ's, but not to sure I want to do that, like if it will even fit... Overall, if anyone could give me advice I will be very thankfull. I want a good enough motor to actually turn 35's and lift it. Also, is there any problems I may run into? such as cooling...ect.
you would definitely have room for it...my friend runs a V8 in his YJ...but i think he probably did some sheetmetal cutting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, I looked on cragslist and found a CJ with a cherokee engine and good 31's with a suspension, and only selling for 1200. I was thinking of buying that and stripping it, just for the tires I'd say thats a good deal. Should I still sell my jeep and buy another? Or does that deal sound reasonable enough?

*Also, would a 4 cyl transmission bolt onto a cherokee engine?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
sounds pretty reasonable but it must have a lot of rust or somethin...but i guess if you wanted the tires and wheels and maybe some other parts then you could get it and swap the engine...but sellin the jeep and buyin another would be easier

1 - 8 of 8 Posts