Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done this? Is it possible? How much of a PITA is it? Also I am new to the forum and I look forward to chatting with everyone in the future!

·
Registered
38 Posts
its actually not to bad if you get the hang of it, i have a 98 TJ in mine and its a 89 but theres a lot of parts that are different, are you lifted at all or stock ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
been in the woods just got back

My jeep has the springs over the axels,I have 37 in tires I have added 4:88 gears with lockers front and back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i would be incredibly careful with a dana 35 locker in the rear they bend easily if you hit something the gears dont line up that well i would look to replace it with a ford 8.8 rear end from a 96-2000 ford explorer thier like 200 bucks but the 4 banger doesnt have the ratio to turn, if your budget doesnt include money, i would look to pick up a 4 clyninder cummings

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
engine swap

I had found a deal in a 97 TJ wreck with 28,000 mi on a rebuild for $750 but it was sold out from under me but oh well:banghead: I am gonna need to do something eventually as I have 141,000 showing and they aren't actual. The 4 cyl is still doing ok but I am just planning ahead!
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ha, 141,000 even if they aint actual you got plenty more life to go in yours with proper care. I'm hitting 200,000 on mine and still goes like a champ, only thing is a lil valve train noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great Info (appreciated)

I have been very impressed with the little 4 bangger for sure. The gears made me:punk:. I dont rock crawl and mostly trail ride on Eglin AFB trais which are very sandy and have very nice hills and washed out places so I am not too hard on my set up. I drive a company truck all week so dor the most part it is yard art escept for hunting season or trail riding.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
For future referrence. To swap in that motor your going to need to get new motor mounts driveshafts pcm make a harness yada yada. It would be easier to swap in Small Block Chevy 350.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually you only need to add 2 wires to the 4cyl wiring harness for the 2 extra injectors.And splice the ground on injectors 5 and 6 to 4.Its actually quite easy to do the swap

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ya your right I priced out to put a six cylinder in my Tj and it cost allot more then the 350 swap I am only in my swap for 500 bucks after selling all my old parts straight forward swap too nothing to hard all in all a 350 swap will cost you about 2000

·
Registered
101 Posts
i would be incredibly careful with a dana 35 locker in the rear they bend easily if you hit something the gears dont line up that well i would look to replace it with a ford 8.8 rear end from a 96-2000 ford explorer thier like 200 bucks but the 4 banger doesnt have the ratio to turn, if your budget doesnt include money, i would look to pick up a 4 clyninder cummings
what egine type exactly would fit? I have been following this thread and I am intrested in changeing the rear myself. any good how to guides for this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
4 cyl to 6 cyl

Im trying to do the same change out the 4 cyl to a 6 cyl. I just bought a 1991 jeep cherokee. I am going to put the 6 cyl in my Jeep Wangler. If i read this right all we have to do is add two wires? If someone can help please let us know. thanks jbar1995

1 - 13 of 13 Posts