Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 97 jeep wrangler about a year ago, and Iam thinking about swapping engines. It has the 4 cly in it now. Just want something stronger. Any ideas what will fit in it and if I will have to change the transmission.Thanks ahead of time for the info.

Shawn

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Unless you swap in another stock 2.5L 4cyl, you can count on also replacing the tranny as part of the swap. The AX5 (if you have it) can't really hold up to anything more powerful than the 2.5L anyways.

This is a really good resource that helps layout some reasonable/common options:

The Novak Conversions Knowledge Base Gateway

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
For the amount of money you'll end up spending and time involved you might break even selling that one and buying a 6 cyl Wrangler.

·
Registered
658 Posts
For the amount of money you'll end up spending and time involved you might break even selling that one and buying a 6 cyl Wrangler.
This is true. So unless you want to make something unique, like a badass 4BT swap, used 6cyl TJ is the pragmatic choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts