Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep decided to take a turn on me - by breaking a connecting rod. After replacing the timing chain, push rods and lifters it was confirmed by my mechanic. I am leaning towards getting a new used engine, but am not sure if doing a rebuild would be a better route, or getting a crate engine some sort.

I am guessing that all 4.0 engines from 00-06 would work for me if I were to get a new used engine with lower miles. Or should I rebuild my engine into a stroker or buy one?

Any opinions what you guys would do if you were in this position? I am kind of at a loss here and need to make a decision soon as I hate driving rental cars :p

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm generally more in favor of a rebuild I've had some control over, rather than a used or "rebuilt". Not saying some shops aren't good, just that not all are.

That said, I'd have questions about a mechanic who replaced that many parts to only THEN find a broken rod!

Reactions: Stranger

·
Registered
262 Posts
My jeep decided to take a turn on me - by breaking a connecting rod. After replacing the timing chain, push rods and lifters it was confirmed by my mechanic. I am leaning towards getting a new used engine, but am not sure if doing a rebuild would be a better route, or getting a crate engine some sort.

I am guessing that all 4.0 engines from 00-06 would work for me if I were to get a new used engine with lower miles. Or should I rebuild my engine into a stroker or buy one?

Any opinions what you guys would do if you were in this position? I am kind of at a loss here and need to make a decision soon as I hate driving rental cars :p
I just got my Jeep back from an engine swap. I looked at used engines online but they weren't much less than a rebuilt engine. Engines with high miles were cheaper but pointless I thought. The other issue was where they were. Throw in travel expenses and a used engine winds up costing more. I found a local rebuilder so I didn't have to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
787 Posts
my piston went south and I replaced my engine with recycled (sounds better than used) one from LQK. I found it on the net and they delivered it free. $1000 bucks.
My local auto machine shop would rebuild my engine, even though it had a rip from the bottom to the top of the number one cylinder. he was going to sleeve it. not a big fan of sleeving gas burners. I thought about a rebuilt from one of the auto parts stores, but I guess I did too much research on the net and all the stories of those engines going south and that 3 year warranty was non existent. My engine started after one fuel pump prime and has run like a champ ever since. if I can rebuild this engine, ie no sleeve, I will, otherwise, I'll call LQK again. JMHO

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you every one for your responses! I have been looking around for a used motor, but where I'm at in Wisconsin it's not looking too good. Even for the 4.0 engines in XJs. Also, it turned out to be broken piston skirts, found in the oil pan like everyone usually gets, not a broken connecting rod - still just as bad I feel.

Dextreme - I will definitely be keeping them in mind for other parts, if I need replacements. Was yours just an upgrade?

Trickydoc, when you found your recycled engine on LQK, did you find an exact replacement? Were you able to reuse say, your belts, water pump, and all those parts with the engine from LQK? I just want to know beforehand what I would all need!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Too bad I'm in the desert southwest, I have a 4.0 that runs great I'd sell you! lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are you part of the Wisconsin Jeep Owners Group on facebook? Lots of great contacts on there. Or Wisconsin Jeep Parts for sale.

I am from Appleton area. I know there is a guy near Baraboo who has a shop that works on Jeeps. I can try to look up his contact info for you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Still got it is the desert southwest? I'm kind of in need of a motor. Stroker is a little out of price range with the expensive machine shop here in Idaho Falls.
I do still have it, taking up space in my garage lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.