Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this site
My Jeep is a 2011, Unlimited Rubicon.
Am looking for any/all information/guidance on changing out my stock engine with a 351W. This engine has been rebuilt with an RV cam.
his engine has been rebuilt with an RV cam. I also have a rebuilt Ford transmission. My questions;
Where, or by whom, may have covered this?
Surely this has been done many times, so I would love to discuss this with someone that has this experience?
Thank you
Rady

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
I not sure it has ever been done on a JK. Most engine swaps done to the JK are Hemi and LS motors. Emission would stop many of us from doing the swap you are looking at.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
No, just no. That is the last motor I would ever put into a JK.

You arent ever getting it to pass inspection.

It's going to run like a truck from 1971.

Nothing is going to work.

This has never been done because the 351W isnt an amazing motor. It literally makes less horsepower than the 3.8.

I would put a 22r into a JK before a 40 year old V8.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
^

And probably weighs twice as much

·
Registered
660 Posts
New to this site
Am looking for any/all information/guidance on changing out my stock engine with a 351W. This engine has been rebuilt with an RV cam.
his engine has been rebuilt with an RV cam. I also have a rebuilt Ford transmission. My questions;
Surely this has been done many times, so I would love to discuss this with someone that has this experience?
Thank you
Rady
I doubt it will fit,, if your lucky and it does,, hope you intend it for off-road only!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I'm in the process right now by dropping in a 5.7 Hemi, the major issue is the Canbus system, you want/need a donor that is compatible with your existing electronic system.
You happen to have a 2011 of which is one of the most desirable years to do a swap.

If you go with a LS or any other it will be a stand alone system or independent of your current Mopar system and there will be issues.
Trust me I love the LS engine and after spending hours of research I now really like the Hemi, great power and torque with several aftermarket upgrades available.

I can't even imaging all the hours of cutting and fabrication it will take to drop a Ford drive train in a JK. I looked at using a Mopar Truck Tranny for my swap and it to involved several hours of reworking and to mention the tranny was too long for the JK and I'd have a very short rear drive shaft in the end.

With the LS you will be limited to states as far as passing SMOG and with a 70's 351 almost impossible.

Another thing is finding a good donor that's either the same year or slightly newer which will help with emissions. I was able to find a low milage 24k 5.7 out of a truck with all the accessories and computer for 3k.
With a reflashed Comp. I'll see 450Hp with about the same in Torque all on a stock motor.
The NAG1 Mercedes tranny will handle the Hemi up to a point depending on how hard you hammer the thing, there are several shops and or Kits on the market to build them up to handle a 1000hp.

Sorry to be a "Debi Downer" but please spend some time researching your project before you start, you will save several hours, headaches and maybe some cash. :drinks:

·
Registered
810 Posts
New to this site
Thank you
Rady
I have an 09 JKU with the 351W and C6 trans, F350 Dana 60/Sterling Rear. I bought the Jeep as an unfinished project, but I now have it streetable and it just passed inspection.

I can tell you that you would be better off with a GM LSx setup. The Ford SB's are longer than the GM SB's, there is no harness to mate the Jeep computer to the Ford motor, (Motech has one for the LSx setup) and you will need to modify the trans crossmember to accommodate the transfer case output shaft. The motor mounts need to be mounted pretty low due to the length of the block, and you will need to build a new gauge cluster since the Jeep computer won't talk to the Ford computer. Motor mount location is crucial, I have roughly 1/2" between the WP pulley and the JK fan assembly, no room for a clutch fan. My Jeep has a 2 inch body lift, which really helps.

The Ford motor presents several challenges that the LSx setup does not. It is a great powertrain in my Jeep, and if you aren't too worried about the things I mentioned it's a straight forward swap.

Here is my build thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/my-white-09-jku-finishing-a-cool-project-2010906.html

Sorry, I have yet to find new pic hosting since PB decided they weren't in the business of hosting photos anymore..

Sorry to be a "Debi Downer" but please spend some time researching your project before you start, you will save several hours, headaches and maybe some cash. :drinks:
Good advice, the Dodge engines are the worst of the bunch for a JK transplant. A GM LSx is a much better solution, it will mate to the Jeep computer, and it won't run hot like the Dodge. Plus the aftermarket support is 2nd to none.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, been really tied up lately.
Thanks guys, I think I'll look into this. I had assumed that I could use a ford computer with the Ford engine /trans but never thought about the problems of it not mating up with the jeep display & guages?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts