Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1995 yj 4 banger 5 speed how hard is it to put a 6 banger 5 speed in? And what would need to be changed?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
find a donor, xj's are great inexpensive candidates. you need to change the motor mounts on the frame, they are different for the 4 to 6 cylinders. all the brackets and belt driven accessories, wiring harness and computer.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
^^^ Naw... forget the 6 banger and break out the shoehorns...

·
Registered
8,162 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
are there any popular 8 cyl swaps out there?

·
after birthday glow
1,963 Posts
beefmobile are there any popular 8 cyl swaps out there?
first to answer that usually a chevy 350 but it has some probs like usually cooling with that said omfg that is by far the coolest thing i have ever frigen seen a viper motor in a jeep i want (drool)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Someone above mentioned swapping an xj 6 cyl. I am in the process of swapping an xj 6 cyl in mine and there is more than motor mounts involved. What I found was the bracket that holds the tranny mount and tranny mount, the drivers side engine bracket and mount, anything to do with the alternator mounting, the brackets on the frame for the engine, the bracket on the transfercase that supports the torque shaft, and drive shafts need to be changed. Thats just to bolt the engine in the right spot (welding required). Harness, ecu, fuel line, exhaust, intake duct, and maybe a few more things need to be replaced. If I did not have the complete drivetrain from the xj I would not have attempted this. Oh yeah steering shaft needs to be relocated (welding required). BTW I have a 97 wrangler, so your situation may be a little different, but not much.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Actually the 95 has alot less electronics and emissions aso the swap is alot easier than a 97 and you wont have to rework much more than JeepDoc said. I have done this swap quite a few times and my customers have always been happy with it and I liked the ease of the swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wiring Question! I have a 90 yj with a dead 2.5 tbi and 5 spd manual trans. I am swaping out the dead 2.5 and dropping in a 3.1 mpfi from a 91 firebird that had a 4l60 auto trans behind it. I have the wiring harness and ECU (1227730) from the firebird. Does anyone have wiring diagram for this swap? Two issues I know that I have to address: 1. I know I have to address the VATS system in the ECU. Doing that using a bypass system 2. I have not found any information on the automatic trans wiring. Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
Wiring Question! I have a 90 yj with a dead 2.5 tbi and 5 spd manual trans. I am swaping out the dead 2.5 and dropping in a 3.1 mpfi from a 91 firebird that had a 4l60 auto trans behind it. I have the wiring harness and ECU (1227730) from the firebird. Does anyone have wiring diagram for this swap? Two issues I know that I have to address: 1. I know I have to address the VATS system in the ECU. Doing that using a bypass system 2. I have not found any information on the automatic trans wiring. Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

uugh, good luck, i've never heard of anyone using that engine, the 3.1 was not that great of a platform, but if it does the job for ya i wish you luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts