Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a stock 92 2.5l. I have big aspirations for this jeep. Tube fenders, bumpers, 2.5 inch lift, 33-35" tires, new intirior, the whole 9. I have my cart filled to the brim on 4wheelparts.com lol. I also want to start an engine build sometime next year and that is where my dilemma comes. I'm not sure what to go with. I want the 350 power but not the sound. I was thinking maybe 262 V6 but they aren't nearly as common as small block 350s. And your not getting the 300 horses like a 350. So what's your inputs/ what builds have you guys done?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
There is no reason whatsoever that a V8 has to be loud....

Personally tho, if you don't need big power it's hard to go wrong with a cherokee 4.0 swap....
You can buy a running cherokee and drive it home for less than $1000

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no reason whatsoever that a V8 has to be loud....

Personally tho, if you don't need big power it's hard to go wrong with a cherokee 4.0 swap....
You can buy a running cherokee and drive it home for less than $1000
For some reason all the YouTube videos (which I know isnt the greatest source) all the V8 swaps I've watched are loud. Ive been trying to do some research on exhaust systems for 350s but I feel like that's something you actually have to hear in person to know what sound you like. Also I thought of doing a 4.0 swap but I like the significant power increase from a 2.5l to a 350 lol also I like the idea of rebuilding an engine. It'll probably cost a little more but it would also be over a decent amount of time.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
A 262 v6 can be just as loud as a 350 v8. The 262 uses the same size pistons as the 350 and is essentially a 350 minus two cylinders. Most people doing the swaps that you see on youtube want their jeeps loud. Just get a very good muffler and cat and it won't be too bad.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If you want to hear loud, put a cheap muffler on a 2.5....

If you want to hear a quiet v8, listen to ANY stock vehicle w one..... IE listen to a stock pickup with stock exhaust and the desired engine.

Youtube V8 swaps are loud because the people who have and post them want to show off how loud they are..... people who put effort into making their exhaust quiet aren't nearly as likely to post videos since there is little to be heard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
A 4.0L swap into a 1991-95 is pretty well-documented:

Leans’ 4.0L swap is complete with pics! - JeepForum.com

I did the swap with a 97 TJ 4.0L, and the extra power is great.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a little more power on the highway. So I'd recommend the V8 swap if you have the skills and budget. The 4.0L is great off road.

Cheapest path forward is to sell your 2.5L Jeep and buy a 4.0L Jeep.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Years and years ago, when I was still a young buck and just getting into the car game, my dad shared with my one of the few great automotive truths.

He said, "It's always easier and cheaper in the long run to buy what you want, instead of trying to build what you want."

And after doing more than my fair share of engine swaps and wrenching on countless project vehicles over the last 30+ years, I'm with StanF on this one. You'll be way ahead of the game if you sell your 2.5 and find a 4.0, or even another YJ with the V8 swap already done. I see them on craigslist fairly frequently, most often with a 350/350 combo in a CJ or YJ.

Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't do an engine swap if you really want one, but I think most people completely underestimate the actual scope of a swap project like the one you're considering. If you're still thinking Chevy V8, you should read through this:

The Novak Guide to Installing Chevrolet & GM Engines into the Jeep YJ Wrangler

Reactions: Airslot

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Years and years ago, when I was still a young buck and just getting into the car game, my dad shared with my one of the few great automotive truths.

He said, "It's always easier and cheaper in the long run to buy what you want, instead of trying to build what you want."

And after doing more than my fair share of engine swaps and wrenching on countless project vehicles over the last 30+ years, I'm with StanF on this one. You'll be way ahead of the game if you sell your 2.5 and find a 4.0, or even another YJ with the V8 swap already done. I see them on craigslist fairly frequently, most often with a 350/350 combo in a CJ or YJ.

Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't do an engine swap if you really want one, but I think most people completely underestimate the actual scope of a swap project like the one you're considering. If you're still thinking Chevy V8, you should read through this:

The Novak Guide to Installing Chevrolet & GM Engines into the Jeep YJ Wrangler
So I figured in the long run with everything I want to do to my YJ it'll cost about the same for me to pick up a stock 4.0 TJ. I bought my YJ for $2500 and have put a 2.5 inch lift, replaced the clutch and completely redid the back breaks. In total I'd say I have about $4500 in with some other misc stuff. I figure by the time I do an engine swap I'll have spent total, around the same as I would for a different jeep. Plus I wouldn't get the learning experience/knowledge I would get by doing the swap. I'm doing it more for the fun of it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
So I figured in the long run with everything I want to do to my YJ it'll cost about the same for me to pick up a stock 4.0 TJ. I bought my YJ for $2500 and have put a 2.5 inch lift, replaced the clutch and completely redid the back breaks. In total I'd say I have about $4500 in with some other misc stuff. I figure by the time I do an engine swap I'll have spent total, around the same as I would for a different jeep.
You must be using some of that "new math"! You also went from a YJ to a TJ...

Plus I wouldn't get the learning experience/knowledge I would get by doing the swap. I'm doing it more for the fun of it.
Then you've obviously never done an engine swap before. :)

Seriously, I'm not trying to talk you out of whatever ideas you have planned for your rig. But you should take a long, hard look at your actual costs for everything you need before you take apart a perfectly good running Jeep.

And by everything, I mean everything - gaskets, mounts, hardware, fluids, new parts, old parts, parts you want to reuse but can't (radiator, driveshafts & exhaust, for example), all the linkages, electrical connections, emissions stuff, yadda yadda. Things like nuts and bolts, gear oil, coolant, RTV, etc., can nickel and dime you to death over the course of a project. Also, swapping out an engine affects many of the other systems in your Jeep, and fixing some of those things can get pricey in a hurry. Ever wonder how your new V8 monster is going to run with stock gearing? Or if the Dana 30/35 is going to grenade the first time you romp on the gas trying to get over an obstacle? Have you priced a quality aluminum radiator lately?

Again, I'm not trying to be discouraging about this, just realistic. As I said, I've done my share of engine swaps and almost none of them have been cheap or easy to do right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts