Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started up yesterday for about 3 seconds I heard a metallic tapping sound from the engine. Cold engine, had sat for about 9 hours. Temp at the time was about 75 degrees outside. Never heard this before. I have had it for about 3 months and runs very smooth has about 114000 miles. 2004 X, L6 engine, automatic. Any idea what this might indicate or what work I should get prepared to have done and when?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Sticking lifter. Add a bottle of Rislone Engine Treatment. Or Marvel Mystery Oil.

How often do you change the oil?
If it was a sticking lifter it would probably have continued either until the engine warmed up or indefinitely.

That sound was likely just your lifters starving for oil in the few seconds before the oil got up into the valve cover. If its lifter related, the only way to really fix the problem is to replace them. There is no harm in running your engine with a loud lifter, they will run for a long, long time ticking even all the time. A little at startup is no problem. All oil treatments just mask the problem and may damage other engine components in the process. If its only for a few seconds, its normal and I would ignore it. What weight oil do you run and did you check the level?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked oil about a week ago and it was a hair over full. It was changed shortly before I bought it in Feb. I think the sticker said 10w40. Will check it again tomorrow when doing other stuff. Normally I change oil every 3000 miles. Don't know how often before as it has had a few owners and the last did some light towing. To me its an amazing engine. I am glad I have one of the last AMC engines that Chrysler inherited.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked oil today. About half pint over full. Looked a bit dirty guess I better change soon. My guess is was not changed enough in the past and the last owner had it about 2 years he moved away so no contact there. It amazes me how people will go so long not changing oil. I am not even a shadetree mechanic but I grew up watching my relatives and friends working on 50's and 60's cars.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
So a week ago it was just a little too full now its half a pint? That's not a good sign...

But yeah, if it sat a while the oil probably sludged up around the lifters and could be causing the sound you hear. Some good quality 10W-30 synthetic oil and a good filter may help clean some of the crap out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
probably get oil changed at dealership later this week. I know some people dont bother to change a filter and the oil is too brown for changed in Feb.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
Ticking after a cold start is normal in some engines for a couple of seconds. If it extends beyond that there could be some junk plugging up a lifter. I've had great success with Marvel Mystery Oil cleaning them up, I'd start with a pint and add it about 1,500 miles before you change the oil. If that doesn't work replace a qt of oil with a qt of MMO and run it 3000 miles. Since you're already over the full mark I'd either drain some oil or wait till next oil change. Being a pint over full in your engine isn't a problem, I would not run it a qt. over though.

If you don't want to try the MMO then change the oil and run a full interval with Mobil 1 0W40, that oil is great for cleaning up engines and flows very well when its cold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts