Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thermostat in a 2006 Rubicon just replaced, but the engine is still running at around 235 degrees or so. It's steady at this temp, but is this temp detrimental to the long term health of the engine?

·
Super Moderator
7,685 Posts
That's hot. A few things come to mind:

Did you install on OE thermostat or an aftermarket thermostat? I might catch some static for this but over the years I've gotten enough defective aftermarket thermostats to get me to buy only OE.

Did you test the function of the thermostat prior to installing it? EG place it in a pot of water heated to the temperature the thermostat was designed to open at and make sure it worked? If not you could have installed a defect.

Is the radiator properly bled? An air pocket can cause an engine to run hot, or overheat even with everything else working properly in the cooling system.

Is the coolant mix correct? Too little or too much coolant can cause issues.

Is the radiator cap good?

Is the radiator working properly? Good flow, no dirt on the outside clogging fins, clean inside, no rust or scale?

Is the electric fan or fan clutch working properly?

Fan belt if equipped with mechanical fan good, and not slipping?

You've got some things to check. If I missed something it's early someone else will probably add it, but that covered the basics. Running that particular engine that hot for long periods of time is not good. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Did you install on OE thermostat or an aftermarket thermostat? I might catch some static for this but over the years I've gotten enough defective aftermarket thermostats to get me to buy only OE.
This. (and everything else)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
235 degrees is excessively hot. If the cooling system is original I would replace every single component with OEM parts. Radiator, water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch. Might as well replace the hoses too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All that^^
Plus, how old is the radiator and water pump? If they have ever been replaced, are they stock or aftermarket,?
Can't answer the particulars of the radiator and water pump. This is on a Rubicon that I am looking at buying. It's a 2006. It only has 49,700 miles on it. Seems it has spent lengthy periods of time sitting idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts