Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K so I want to start out by saying I have read numerous threads about ticking and noises and it's kind of helped its just my situation is a bit different. I started noticing this tick when I found out I had an oil leak. After reading the dipstick and it showing no oil at all I had the leak fixed but the sound still remains. This noise gets louder with higher rpms but dissipates at very high rpms. The thing I don't understand is that when you rev it in neutral you can't hear the tick only when it's under load. Please can someone assess my situation?!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm sure this isn't it, but JIC – Make sure no one put a zip tie on your drive shift. My brother explained that joke to me after about a week of me going crazy over the noise.

·
Registered
134 Posts
TalkIsJeep said:
I'm sure this isn't it, but JIC – Make sure no one put a zip tie on your drive shift. My brother explained that joke to me after about a week of me going crazy over the noise.
LOL.

Noisy valve lifters are common I think ( someone correct me if im wrong). I had a 94 Cherokee with the inline 6 and it did the same. Thicker oil quieted them down. I ended up adding Lucas oil additive which worked great quieting the engine, but when somehow I think it killed my starter when it got cold. That stuff is the consistency of honey when cold. Not sure if that was related but once I went back to a thinner oil the starter worked fine. Did you switch oil weights?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I haven't tried a thicker oil. I've been running 10w-30. I'm think I'm going to try a seafoam treatment soon and when I change the oil out I'll try a thicker oil if the problem hadn't already been fixed. What oil type would be preferable?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
let me know if the seafoam helps because im having the EXACT problem

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm agree TJS2000, I think I was running 10w-40 my old XJ but you could start off with 10w-30 and see how that does.

How are you planning to use the seafoam? As a motor flush or through your gas tank?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Acarnes00 said:
No I haven't tried a thicker oil. I've been running 10w-30. I'm think I'm going to try a seafoam treatment soon and when I change the oil out I'll try a thicker oil if the problem hadn't already been fixed. What oil type would be preferable?
I did the seafoam. It didnt help. It actually thinned the oil out. I can recommend an oil weight, but you can stick to 10W-30 and try adding a little lucasoil. But like I said there can be drawbacks. Maybe start with a 1/4 bottle and see how she likes it.

This what I used.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/di...&headTitle= - Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks tjs2000 I'll give that a try I'm going to use seafoam treatment in the gas tank, oil, and through the break booster. Give her an all around flush I'm sure it needs it. Has 120,000 miles and from what I've heard the previous owners poorly maintained it plus sunk the whole thing in mud! XD I'm sure seafoam thins out the oil but that's why you change it after a couple hundred miles. I'm also thinking about some mmo( marvel mystery oil) has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An update on the seafoam. Unfortunately I still hear the tick although it seems to be a bit quieter that also might just be the placebo effect :/ I only used one pint 1/3 in the gas 1/3 in the crank case and a 1/3 through the break booster. I had a significant amount of smoke so something burned off. My next step is to replace the oil with a heavier 10w-40 and maybe add some Lucas oil? If that doesn't help maybe another round of seafoam on my next oil change. I'm just so annoyed with this. Guess I'll crank up the tunes to mask it for now XD

·
Registered
134 Posts
Acarnes00 said:
An update on the seafoam. Unfortunately I still hear the tick although it seems to be a bit quieter that also might just be the placebo effect :/ I only used one pint 1/3 in the gas 1/3 in the crank case and a 1/3 through the break booster. I had a significant amount of smoke so something burned off. My next step is to replace the oil with a heavier 10w-40 and maybe add some Lucas oil? If that doesn't help maybe another round of seafoam on my next oil change. I'm just so annoyed with this. Guess I'll crank up the tunes to mask it for now XD
Have tried adjusting your valves?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love sea foam! Our 02 developed a lifter tick like you have at about 110k miles.

I drained off some oil and added 1/2 a can of SF the oil and the other 1/2 in the tank. Topped the oil back to full and ran that for 1000 miles, the tick disappeared in a few hundred miles but I couldn't get the oil changed until I had the time.

We now have 121k miles and no tick at all.

I use sea foam in all my outdoor power equipment. One capful for each gallon of fuel in my fuel cans and the for storage I will drop one or two cap fills in the tank and run them dry.

I have been using this stuff since 1991 when it cost me $900 the get my boat started one spring. I had is ed stabil per winterizing instructions with the boat. It turned into little balls of jelly and plugged my injectors! The repair shop gave me a can of SF and said use this. I did and have not had a fuel related issue since.

I now manage an outdoor power equipment sales and service center, we preach SF daily. That and non-ethanol blended fuel!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I would be weary of jumping into something thicker, before you go to 10w-40 try out Castrol GTX.

I use the partially synthetic with a bottle of STP zinc additive (ZDDP), it sounds like your hearing the same noise I did after moving to a full synthetic oil and have heard that full synthetics lack zinc.. which is helpful in keeping our flat lifter system lubed... who knew (yes I know you did Jerry)
It makes sense that the lifters lost proper lubrication when your jeep was losing oil, and you may just need an oil heavier in zinc to get them

If its the same noise as mine... it should quiet down.

I have noticed a similar noise coming back on occasion but I also tore a hole in my exhaust pipe directly after the headers which I hear is another cause.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts