Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited that just hit 4500 miles. Starting at roughly 600 miles I’ve felt an engine vibration/pulsing in the clutch and shifter between 1500 and 2000 rpms. I’ve taken it to the dealership and was told it was normal. No other manual I have owned in the past (including a TJ) ever did this, so I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue. What I have noticed about this issue:

- The vibration/pulsing is does not shake the clutch or shifter violently, it just feels like the engine is out of balance (or something like that), and the vibrations are felt through the transmission.

- Other than the vibration issue, the engine and drivetrain seem to be working fine.

- I notice the vibrations mainly when I am shifting into 2nd gear and engaging he clutch between 1500 and 2000 rpm. It doesn’t just happen in second gear, but that it is when it is most noticeable.

- I can feel the vibration through the clutch petal between 1500 rpm and 2000rpm (in any gear) if I depress the clutch an inch or so. I don't normally drive with my foot on the clutch, but have noticed I can feel the vibration if i do this. Which makes me think it is not the clutch itself, but the engine.

- I only feel the vibration under moderate engine load. Take my foot off the gas, or give it a lot of throttle, and it goes away.

- The vibration is at the same speed as the engine rpm.

- Over 2000 rpm the vibrations seem to go away.

Anybody else with a manual trans notice this same thing? Is it normal?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
A certain amount of vibration in the shifter is normal as a result of a direct connection to the trans. A vibration in the clutch pedal isn't normal. At the very least have the dealer make sure that the trans. fluid level is where it should be. Some manual transmissions have been known to be under filled from the factory. However, I don't think that's the problem you're experiencing. I would bring it in again and have it inspected. They should be able to determine that other manual JK's on the lot don't have the same vibration/pulse issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wondering what was wrong or if the dealer gave you the old “it’s normal” talk mine is doing the exact same thing please let me know!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to two different dealers(multiple times), and all they said was that it was normal and wouldn't do anything to fix it. I gave up and decided to live with it. If the clutch does fail I at least have it documented with Jeep that there was a problem very early on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts