Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2004 with the 4.0 and manual transmission. The engine has developed a slight vibration that gets worse as the rpm gets higher. Nothing alarming but you can defiantly feel it. I just wanted to see if anyone could give me ideas on what to start with. Motor mounts are original and look good but I will probably change them. It has new plugs and is not throwing any codes. It still vibrates even with the belt off. Probably unrelated but I am getting a noise (slight squeal) from what seems like the clutch area that goes away when I put pressure on the clutch.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,924 Posts
Check the motor mounts and the transmission mounts

The straight six is inherently balanced and has no balancer or counter weights the front “damper” has no eccentric weight

If vibration is speed rather than rpm dependent (priests a specific speed despite change in heat) think u joints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will change the mounts. Thanks. It will vibrate sitting still in neutral when revving the engine but it is a little more pronounced at speed and seems to go away if put it in neutral and let it idle as I coast down the road. I think that it is definitely the engine causing it. I wasn't sure if a miss would make it vibrate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick update. I had a new clutch put in because of a intermittent squealing sound. (separate post) That took care of the sound and vibration. I haven't had a chance to talk to the guy who put it in face to face yet but he said that the throw out bearing was toast and the clutch had a little life left in it but not much. I wonder if a worn out pilot bearing can case vibrations?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts