Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '08 JKUR with 92,000 mi 6 sp manual transmission. I have been getting a Malfunction Indictator Light (MIL) and an ElectronicThrottle Control (ETC) warning light periodically for the last 2 weeks.

The ETC light will go away for several days and return while the MIL will go away but comes back far more often. The MIL is NOT flashing and sometimes they are on at engine start up or they come on while driving. I checked for engine code using the cycling of my ignition key and it showed code: P2181 (Cooling System Performance). The ETC light came on last night while driving but is not currently on this afternoon.

I'm trying learn what is causing the lights to illuminate and trying to determine if it's something I can fix or I need to take it to the Dealership. I have checked battery terminals for tightness, I've filled up the jeep a few times already at different gas stations to exclude bad fuel, and radiator is full and resovoir has coolant in it. I replaced coolant a year ago and it is still good. Jeep does not run hot but I'm thinking of replacing the Thermostat? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Hey Jeff, sorry you are having issues. Have you checked the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump? May be that the pump is going out and not keeping the computer happy. The t stat would be a cheap fix if that is the issue. You could replace it and see if that solves the issue. If it is the pump you would want to do the T stat at the same time anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check it real quick. I replaced the water pump a year ago when the gasket was leaking but you never know.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Are you having heating issues? I know you probably haven't used it in a while, but make sure you are getting heat to both sides of the jeep. Also, any chance that different types of coolant have been mixed? May have that sludge issue.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No heating issues, coolant is good (correct type added/no sludge after 1yr) and I get heat from both sides. Wife used the heat a couple of weeks ago when driving naked at night. I'm not sure what else would give the code, that's why I'm thinking thermostat may be going bad or maybe it's the ETC sensor.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
When your ready, let me know. Would be glad to help. I think star is looking for a reason to get people together again as well.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a new Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor from the dealership and I'll grab new thermostat too. Tried to get a gallon of coolant but the dealership didn't have the HOAT coolant that I need for my '08 so I'll get it elsewhere. I'm not sure if I'm on the right path to fix the problem but these attempts are fairly inexpensive so I'll find out.

I do have a new brake/rotor job needed in my near future. Not sure if I'll do it doing Star's wrenching party or not. I don't want to hog all of the time again.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only replaced the ECT sensor and left the thermostat alone and it fixed the problem. It took like 5 minutes to replace the sensor and no more issues. I replaced it on June 20th and the jeep is my DD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No heating issues, coolant is good (correct type added/no sludge after 1yr) and I get heat from both sides. Wife used the heat a couple of weeks ago when driving naked at night. I'm not sure what else would give the code, that's why I'm thinking thermostat may be going bad or maybe it's the ETC sensor.

Glad you got your problem fixed.
But what was your wife do driving around naked?:lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I could have phrased that sentence a little better.:lmao:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts