Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the check engine light came on and I am getting an error 43 code. I was on the highway doing about 55 mph, I'm usually just around town so no really fast driving. Could a bad catalytic converter cause it? It is rattling quite a bit. With the code on the jeep was still running as usually, no rough idle or anything. Two other things I've done are when the check engine light came on I was just coming back from having the oil changed. I usually do it myself but didn't want to lay out in the snow. The other thing was I let my wife use and the gas was down to 1/4 full and she use the 91 octane gas. I'm not sure that either of those could have anything to do with it. Thanks for you help and input!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,470 Posts
I'll write more on this tonight but '43' codes on '97 and early '98 TJ 4.0L engines are very common and are from a bad/weak batch of valve springs. The only real fix is either a new set of valve springs, but more commonly if the problem has been happening long enough to have damaged the valve seats, a valve job.

Tell your wife to only run 87 octane, higher octanes just leave unburned deposits behind and don't perform any better. In fact, higher octanes are harder and slower to ignite. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts