Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ (4 cyl) throwing Error Code PO - 0171
Doesn't run bad when it does, but freaks out the wife.
She doesn't want to cause/create any issues.
Kids (35 & 24) have read codes and reset but the list of possibilities
seems fairly extensive.
Anyone have suggestions where to start??
Is this a DIY issue or should we find a shop here in San Diego?

thanks in advance

mark

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I had p0171 it was my engine harness that had intermittent connection on the o2 signal wire. It had shorted right inside of where the wires go into the main line, and melded with another wire on the harness over time. The only noticeable way you could tell it was the harness without any tools was if you grabbed the o2 wires right before where it goes into the harness and move them around/tug on them lightly, you could hear/feel the engine changing rapidly from lean to rich. However, my p0171 was usually accompanied by p0131. That being said, sometimes p0131 would never show up after resetting it, though most times it did show up (if I drove it long enough for the condition to exist).

Digger and C.D.C helped me out a whole ton when I had this issue. They are true wizards of the wranglerforum. lol

Here is a link to when they and many others helped me out when I had p0171:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/smog-soon-im-boned-problem-resolved-1027225.html

It can be extremely tricky (or easy) to find. It's a gamble. My best advice is try not to jump to conclusions, because I did that and I ended up spending a lot more money than I wanted to. You can skim through it, or read it as you wish, as most scenarios are posted there. There's plenty things there that you should check.

Oh.. And the very last post there is the true fix. I thought I had found the problem earlier, but it wasn't. So if you do end up reading through it, make sure you read the very last post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts