Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, no reason meaning no valid reason (that I know of).

I was coming to a stop at a red light today, heard an audible "ding", and looked down to see that my ESC light had come on. My first thought was that I maybe had a bad speed sensor or that I maybe damaged one when I replaced my rear axle shafts but that was over 2 weeks ago.

After stopping at the store, the light stayed on when I restarted the engine, but it went off after driving a bit down the road.

I don't thinks it's an issue w/ my steering be off-center and I also read that if it was a speed sensor, that the ABS light would also be on (which it isn't).

Any thoughts on this? I searched around and didn't find the answer I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That happens to me sometimes after off-roading. It has always cleared up on its own.
Has never happened to me. Been off road a lot but not in about a month. Very odd.

Hoping it was just a fluke as the rig has had some issues lately.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured as much, but I know sometimes I miss the obvious ;-)
Agreed. I do the same thing.

My first thought was that I messed up a sensor when I changed out the axle shafts but since that was almost 3 weeks ago, I figured that couldn't be the cause.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you replaced your axles you might be accumulating new metal dust on the speed sensor magnet. You can pull them and clean them off. Other cause may be a broken wire to the speed sensor.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far it hasn't happened again. Heading out shortly for an overnight trail ride and camping trip with friends.

Will see if it comes on again while I'm offroad.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few days after I went off-roading. Kept driving for about a mile or so and it turned off and hasn't come back on since then.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No issues during this weekend's trail ride/camping trip, but I'll keep the cheat code handy just in case. LOL

That being said, now my CB is causing my instrument cluster to go bananas. Started a new thread in the communications forum. Hopefully I can get that sorted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts