Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I just had a remote starter installed today. After moving my jeep out I noticed that my ESC light is on. And it won't go out. It's the light with the squiggles under it that comes on when I spin my tires etc.
I checked for codes and found nothing.
I told the guy who installed it, but he hasn't seen that before and is looking into it as well.
Has anyone heard of this before. I've seen some posts about this, but they aren't related as they don't involve the remote starter install.
But, one was after an alignment and his light turned off a while later. Anyone have this happen before??

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I understand is he didn't actually have to splice any wires. He had a can bus bypass module which plugs in between an already existing pigtail. But I did read in my ProCal instruction manual that sometimes if you unplug the pigtail that the steering wheel sensor is wired through, it confuses the sensor and may cause lights. So I'm going to check with my ProCal to see if the wheel is straight and then I'm going to reset the computer I think. Hopefully this helps. And I took it for a drive last night and all the functions of the ESC work as they should. It seems to just be this annoying light.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tore into it. It wasn't a plug and play. He spliced. Kinda pissed me off because he said he just plugged into harnesses. Well he's calling tech support tomorrow. So hopefully there will be a solution. I'll be calling another installation place tomorrow to see if they might know what it is. Maybe from prior experiences. If I have to take it to another shop, he will have a problem. I'll be billing him for sure.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Posses me off when installers/mechanics lie. Just own up to the issue. When I was a mechanic I owned up to my mistakes. I'm glad u found the issue. Did u cut the wire he put in? Did the light go out then?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So he seems to think that the bypass module isn't sending a signal fast enough and its throwing this light.
So I have to go to my mechanic and have him try and shut off the light with his computer. Says he should be able to. If it does shut off and doesn't come back on (I can't use the remote starter until it's reprogrammed at this point), then we carry on and reprogram. If the light goes out and comes back on (without using the remote starter) then he says it's something wrong with my jeep. Which my mechanic should be able to tell me if its a sensor somewhere. So that's where I'm at with this.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am too. But if it's something he did he's fixing it. I would simply just talk to my dealer, but as soon as they find out someone other that chrysler did the install, they will say it was the installer right off the bat. They are clouded like that. So I'll see what my mechanic says and go from there. I unhooked the entire unit earlier, but the light didn't turn off. So I don't know what to think right now. I'll just have to wait till Friday to see my mechanic.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
U can disconnect the battery. Both cables. Let it sit for a bit then touch the cables together. Then hook them back up to the battery. It should clear all codes stored.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried that. Well minus the tapping together. I did pull the cables and let it sit for 10mins. Then held the brake pedal and turned the key to start a couple of times. And I don't understand how a code can make the traction control light come on rather than the check engine light. Seems weird to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
What did he say about splicing into the wires? It's still something he did. Did he try another module? Something isn't adding up here. Is your steering wheel dead center? Jeep tracks straight down the road?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What did he say about splicing into the wires? It's still something he did. Did he try another module? Something isn't adding up here. Is your steering wheel dead center? Jeep tracks straight down the road?
He avoided the fact that I found spliced wires.
He hasn't tried another module yet. He said that the light has to come off before he can reset the module. If the lights on he said he can't reprogram it. If it goes off and reprogramming it doesn't work he's going to try a different module. And the jeep seems to go straight. It's kinda hard to tell with all the snow on the road. But the clear spots it seems straight.
But if the light goes off and comes back on even if I don't use the remote starter then he says it's my jeep and not the starter. Which I think if that's the case then I think it's his fault and I will ask the dealer and/or my mechanic.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Solved.
The sensor that plugs into the brake booster was unplugged. Plugged back in, reset abs module and such. Lights off now and comes on when slipping etc.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah it was nuts, my mechanic had the hood open long enough to pull the cover off. And literally 15seconds he said he found it, showed me. And reset the system. Got a Christmas tree of lights then they all shut off. And problem solved!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts