Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I lifted my wrangler yesterday, did the 2" OME lift - it was a self install with a couple of friends. We [thought we had] centered my steering wheel after the lift, but on the drive home I noticed it was off-center. Otherwise, no problems.

Fast forward to today and as I'm out driving the ESC warning light trips. I had already done about 10-20 miles between lift and when the indicator tripped. I pulled off the road and threw my Procal on to check, and as I expected it said, "steering wheel alignment" or something similar. I drove back home, adjusted the steering wheel as described all over the forums and attempted to clear the code, but the Procal won't clear it. It says the codes are cleared, but the computer keeps throwing the code.

Thinking it may need to be driven to realize it was fine, I took it for a couple of laps around the block, came back home and tried again. The steering wheel is definitely centered now, but the warning won't go away.

Thoughts/help? Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Maybe try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. This may clear out the warning light.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Adjusting the draglink to straighten the steering wheel should have eliminated the light. Are you absolutely sure it is centered? If has a pretty slim tolerance - being off "just a hair" is enough for the computer to not see it as straight.

Two other possible culprits. When you installed the lift, is the axle centered? If the axle is off center then by default the steering attached to it is not centered and that makes the electronic nanny throw the light. Second idea is bad wheel speed sensor - it may have something to do with installing the lift (aka it got tugged or something) or it may just be coincidence (sometimes they just give up the ghost).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If has a pretty slim tolerance - being off "just a hair" is enough for the computer to not see it as straight.

Two other possible culprits. When you installed the lift, is the axle centered? If the axle is off center then by default the steering attached to it is not centered and that makes the electronic nanny throw the light. Second idea is bad wheel speed sensor - it may have something to do with installing the lift (aka it got tugged or something) or it may just be coincidence (sometimes they just give up the ghost).
I've gone out today and quadruple checked the steering wheel being centered today. Drove on several different roads and through several different parking lots to try and remove any road grade as a factor. As far as my eyes can tell, the steering wheel is centered, the Jeep drives straight and tracks great.

The axle looks centered as well (basing off of where wheels sit in the wheel well).

Follow up question, thoughts on whether or not an alignment shop would service it versus the dealership? I was planning to get an alignment check done anyway, so I could see the caster angle results post-lift, and figure they might be able to help with this as well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Double check all the wheel speed sensor connections like said, you can have a auto parts store use their scan tool to clear the code for you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to follow up with the resolution:

I rechecked everything, including what I could with the speed sensors. Everything looked good. Since I needed an alignment check anyway, I got that done this morning and everything was as expected. Except for castor angle, everything was within spec as expected/hoped. Even my steering wheel was centered appropriately (yay for eyeballing it).

Figuring I would end up at the dealer later this week, I just went about my business running errands. After about 10ish minutes on the road, the light cleared itself.

From how everyone was talking here and on other threads, it sounded like after centering the wheel everything would clear right away, but for me I apparently just needed some function of miles/cornering/etc after straightening it before it would clear.

Thanks for the help and tips, folks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts