Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I need some help on this.
I lifted my 2007 jkur 4” lift 35” tires 18 wheels. Ever since every time I take curves between 20-40 miles/hour the esp light and abs will turn on.
So far I’ve done:
Wheel alignment. Parameters correct.
Bought traildash 2 to set tire size.
Changed front bearings and sensors.
Scanned the computer and center aligned and no codes on scan
Need help, nothing seems to correct this.
Any advise?

·
Registered
970 Posts
You said you changed the front sensors, were those the wheel speed sensors? I don't have much advice but that's where I'd look, but sounds like you maybe already checked that box.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I had a similar issue after I installed my lift-- it was due to the steering wheel not exactly at 0 degrees following the loft. JK ESP is very sensitive to the steering position when turning,

·
Registered
879 Posts
I didn't have this problem until I got up to 39in tires. My abs would kick in on Xway entry/exit ramps - applying the brakes to try and straighten me out. It was scary. The ESP/ABS thinks you are in a skid and activates. If your steering wheel is properly centered, wheel speed sensors are good, alignment is correct and your tires are equal pressure and size (and tire size is corrected in the PCM) then the only thing I can think would be wrong would be the steering angle sensor.

I cut the ESP wire that runs along the transmission hump and haven't had a problem since. I have no ESP/ABS and that is fine with me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't have this problem until I got up to 39in tires. My abs would kick in on Xway entry/exit ramps - applying the brakes to try and straighten me out. It was scary. The ESP/ABS thinks you are in a skid and activates. If your steering wheel is properly centered, wheel speed sensors are good, alignment is correct and your tires are equal pressure and size (and tire size is corrected in the PCM) then the only thing I can think would be wrong would be the steering angle sensor.

I cut the ESP wire that runs along the transmission hump and haven't had a problem since. I have no ESP/ABS and that is fine with me.
So your recommendation is to change the steering angle sensor?
Is there any way to calibrate that using a scanner?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think you need to check what your steering angle is reading when the steering wheel appears to be centered. I've got Aeroforce gauges that show my steering wheel angle. A good tuner, even a ProCal will have the ability to indicate when your steering wheel is set to 0 degrees. I wouldn't jump into replacing any parts unless you determine that the sensor is bad.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had a similar issue after I installed my lift-- it was due to the steering wheel not exactly at 0 degrees following the loft. JK ESP is very sensitive to the steering position when turning,

I had the same after lift before the steering wheel was centered....also had the same problem with aftermarket wheel speed sensors on another occasion. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Happened in buddy’s 07 2 dr manual tranny 18” rims and 35”Nitto mud terrain tires. Scared the crap out of him would happen on mild sweeping corners. Tried everything and nothing worked until he put different tires on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happened in buddy’s 07 2 dr manual tranny 18” rims and 35”Nitto mud terrain tires. Scared the crap out of him would happen on mild sweeping corners. Tried everything and nothing worked until he put different tires on.
You mean your friend had to change tires or both rims and tires?
will 18” rim size affect?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
You mean your friend had to change tires or both rims and tires?
will 18” rim size affect?
He changed both but don’t know what was the culprit. Not sure if it was a combo of the two and short wb or what. I cannot remember what rims he had but I know they were fairly wide because Nitto mud tires in 35x12.5-18 look like most 13.5 wide tires. See if you could borrow a set of tires and see if that helps or not at least could rule out the tires if it doesn’t

1 - 11 of 11 Posts