Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Usually I am not the one asking questions on here but I am at a loss and need your help!

My personal JKU is heavily modified and within the past 6 month or year the ESP has been engaging on it's own. It usually happens when i am going around a long corner (normal speeds, not fast) and it engages, never used to on these turns. More recently it has done it on straight parts of the road, almost like a jerky steering wheel engages it.

Some background info:
I have a front anti-rock
Clock Spring has been replaced
I have power steering. I went a non PSC brand and it was useless. replaced everything except the ram with PSC parts.
Currie suspension
running 37's, tires have been balanced.
happens on highways.

Last time it happened when my friend was driving and going back and forth on the steering wheel to keep it straight, nothing too crazy. It happened twice. I took over driving after that :)

I have learned most situations on when it will engage and I slow down to prepare myself for it. however it happened on the highway in-between a semi and another Jeep. I'm over it, looking for a fix please! Picture below if that helps. Thanks in advance! CassieAtBestop

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
What have you checked so far Cassie?

• Wheel is relatively straight?
  • Do you have anything else causing excessive play in the steering (Tie-rod ends loose, DL ends, etc.)?
  • Does it take a lot of side to side effort to keep it straight or does it track well without steering effort?
  • Have you checked to make sure none of your wheel speed sensors are faulty?
I'm not personally experienced with issues Hydro assist may cause in terms of triggering ESP, hopefully someone else can chime in there if there are known issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was having intermittent ESP and no cruise control issues I replaced the accelerometer module which is next to your e-brake. I hope this helps just a shot in the dark, good luck.

·
Vendor
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your responses, I greatly appreciate it! I will check all these things out and let you know what i find. I am hoping it is just a sensor issue... I feel like I am searching for a needle in a haystack! But what fun would a Jeep be if it was always working correctly ;)
*cassieAtBestop
@rockandroll I will give that a shot! any idea are appreciated!
I was having intermittent ESP and no cruise control issues I replaced the accelerometer module which is next to your e-brake. I hope this helps just a shot in the dark, good luck.

@eepjk1968 haha!!! DOn't hate on teh purple :)
The only codes are in regards to an evap leak and a radio short. Nothing else has popped up, I just switched the transmission out so i have been keeping a close eye on it. Ill run another check!
Any codes? I think it may be the purple springs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

@JeepR kReapR
The wheel is straight, as straight as it can be for being used off road :)
It tracks pretty well, unless its a crappy road and they you are constantly trying to keep it in line.
We checked the steering components for being loose and didn't notice anything.
I have not checked the Wheel Speed sensors, I can check those out.

What have you checked so far Cassie?

• Wheel is relatively straight?
  • Do you have anything else causing excessive play in the steering (Tie-rod ends loose, DL ends, etc.)?
  • Does it take a lot of side to side effort to keep it straight or does it track well without steering effort?
  • Have you checked to make sure none of your wheel speed sensors are faulty?
I'm not personally experienced with issues Hydro assist may cause in terms of triggering ESP, hopefully someone else can chime in there if there are known issues

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Only happens under certain situations?

I know when my 35's were not perfectly balanced and i hit a bump during a turn TC Would trip on. Also on long sweeping turns sometimes (on/off ramps) like yours.

count the number of rotations left and right the wheel turns. I always lock my steering wheel from moving when messing with the DL/box. Possibly its off one way or another?

Wheel speed sensor could be faulty too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Vendor
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely on long swooping turns, and then more recently on a straight away a few times.

I will check these this weekend and report back, thank you so much!

Only happens under certain situations?

I know when my 35's were not perfectly balanced and i hit a bump during a turn TC Would trip on. Also on long sweeping turns sometimes (on/off ramps) like yours.

count the number of rotations left and right the wheel turns. I always lock my steering wheel from moving when messing with the DL/box. Possibly its off one way or another?

Wheel speed sensor could be faulty too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Any updates Cassie? Did you have any luck after re-centering the steering wheel & checking the wheel speed sensors?

·
Vendor
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey!!

Ugh, no, not yet. We are in full SEMA prep so i haven't had a chance to work on the Jeep. I am hoping in a few weeks i can take a look, i will keep you updated though! :) *CassieAtBestop

Any updates Cassie? Did you have any luck after re-centering the steering wheel & checking the wheel speed sensors?

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Hey!!

Ugh, no, not yet. We are in full SEMA prep so i haven't had a chance to work on the Jeep. I am hoping in a few weeks i can take a look, i will keep you updated though! :) *CassieAtBestop

Good luck with it!

Only other thing I can think of outside of the steering wheel center & wheel speed sensors is if some other command module setting is off (tire size, gear ratio etc). Whatever OBD programmer you used to modify those settings, may not hurt to check’em.

·
Vendor
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I will keep that in mind! I am also in the midst of ordering some new axles so that might do the trick as well. We are going to check everything when we start taking it apart.

Sorry for the delay, was on vacation then SEMA :)

*CassieAtBestop

Good luck with it!

Only other thing I can think of outside of the steering wheel center & wheel speed sensors is if some other command module setting is off (tire size, gear ratio etc). Whatever OBD programmer you used to modify those settings, may not hurt to check’em.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
Thanks! I will keep that in mind! I am also in the midst of ordering some new axles so that might do the trick as well. We are going to check everything when we start taking it apart.

Sorry for the delay, was on vacation then SEMA :)

*CassieAtBestop
I use that method of troubleshooting myself. When something isn't working, upgrade and start dealing with a new set of issues! :pc-ouch:

Gook luck with the axle upgrade Cassie. Post up pics when it's done if you can!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts