Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unltd. the ESP warning light along with the "swerving car" has popped up the dealer has replaced the clockspring twice and each time they break the horn as well - any ideas the light continues to come on

·
Registered
527 Posts
Check your speed sensors on each of the 4 hubs. If these are obstructed by dirt or debris they wont be able to get the correct reading and will illuminate those lights on your dash.

Been through this, its frustrating but once you get them clean they usually work perfectly.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The steering wheel has a sensor as well. If the steering wheel is off center when going straight; the ESP will engage and will blink as it tries to apply brakes and then go solid when the condition does not change. Essentially the computer thinks you are turning and wheel speed should be offset for a turn. Happens quite frequently when off roading. Then the steering wheel needs to be re-centered.

I probably have a 1 in 4 record of having to re-center my steering wheel after a wheeling trip. Sometimes I do it right there at the trailhead.
Bob K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Someone mentioned taking it to an Auto Zone and they have something that can check it or take it back to the dealer

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The steering wheel has a sensor as well. If the steering wheel is off center when going straight; the ESP will engage and will blink as it tries to apply brakes and then go solid when the condition does not change. Essentially the computer thinks you are turning and wheel speed should be offset for a turn. Happens quite frequently when off roading. Then the steering wheel needs to be re-centered.

I probably have a 1 in 4 record of having to re-center my steering wheel after a wheeling trip. Sometimes I do it right there at the trailhead.
Bob K.
This is a very common problem because the steering wheel often gets misaligned from the wheels. The ESP control unit uses the difference between the direction the steering is pointing and the direction the vehicle is actually moving to provide input to the brakes. If the steering wheel is not aligned properly the sensor thinks the vehicle is yawing when in reality it is going straight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks - right now it's at the Dealer and they don't know what to do after driving it all afternoon the ESP light never came on and then the ABS light came on and "binged" and blinked no fault would come on the computer -

Good advice everyone really appreciate your time and if you have more advice send it my way I'm scanning the last thread and sending it on to the dealer

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thanks - right now it's at the Dealer and they don't know what to do after driving it all afternoon the ESP light never came on and then the ABS light came on and "binged" and blinked no fault would come on the computer -

Good advice everyone really appreciate your time and if you have more advice send it my way I'm scanning the last thread and sending it on to the dealer

Vernon, a standard scan doesn't always pickup the wheel speed sensors. Make sure it is being scanned with a newer model scanner that also reads ABS codes. I've had O'reilly and Advanced Auto try and scan and found nothing when I knew the issue but just wanted to know which sensor was out. Ended up going to Autozone and still had to tell the guy working there to check to ABS codes before I got my answer.

If it is just the ESP it is most likely the steering being off center. It can look damn near straight but the tolerance is pretty tight. Procal makes it easier to do yourself. But as NWBronco said, it is a pretty common thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts