Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So like many of us I’m starting to get a little annoyed with the overbearing nature of the stability control on my ‘14 Jk and I’m looking into different mods that can be done to tone it down some. Yes I’ve searched, yes I know about the cut wire lol. What I was wondering is if anyone knows what the voltage signal slope is coming off the Yaw sensor? I’m wondering if I can build a cheap piggyback board to modify the signal coming off the sensor before it sends the signal to the ECU. I’m tired of my Jeep freaking out anytime I go over train tracks or through a roundabout.

Quick disclaimer, yes I understand it’s there for a reason and 99% of the time it doesn’t bother me. As for my driving experience I’m a commercial driver with 25 years trucking experience, racing experience and off-road experience etc.

Thanks

Ted

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
The dynamic sensor doesn't have a voltage coming off that indicates yaw. The sensor actually combines a sensors for yaw, lateral, longitudinal movements. Those movements are sent over twisted pair of data communication lines. The sensor is more of a module, meaning that it has power and ground to it and sends data over a bus line than a dumb sensor. The communication lines go straight to the ABS module so not really a BUS but I believe it's data that gets sent back and forth...1 and 0s vs. voltage indicating the yaw, lat, long.

Not sure how you'd change that without reprogramming the ABS module or redoing the dynamic sensor completely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well balls... it speaks binary? That’s annoying. I was hoping to just be able to change the voltage by adding resistance to the signal the ecu is seeing.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
never mind

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Hi all,

So like many of us I’m starting to get a little annoyed with the overbearing nature of the stability control on my ‘14 Jk and I’m looking into different mods that can be done to tone it down some. Yes I’ve searched, yes I know about the cut wire lol. What I was wondering is if anyone knows what the voltage signal slope is coming off the Yaw sensor? I’m wondering if I can build a cheap piggyback board to modify the signal coming off the sensor before it sends the signal to the ECU. I’m tired of my Jeep freaking out anytime I go over train tracks or through a roundabout.

Quick disclaimer, yes I understand it’s there for a reason and 99% of the time it doesn’t bother me. As for my driving experience I’m a commercial driver with 25 years trucking experience, racing experience and off-road experience etc.

Thanks

Ted

Are you hot-dogging it or just driving normally?

The hot-dogging I can understand and the module bypass is better for that. It's pretty easy to do. But normal driving shouldn't cause issues and if it is then you have other problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it’s not necessarily hotdogging when that happens although it happens then as well. Traction control kicks in as low as 20 km an hour if I hit sharp bumps (like the mid corner train tracks I cross every morning on my way to work). hitting any sort of washboard on a gravel road will send the ECU into catatonics. I have a 3 inch lift with 33’s, alignment is set up properly and steering wheel is “straight”. I’ve wondered if switching over to softer shocks would help.
Strangely this is the first vehicle that I’ve ever owned that goes through rear brakes faster than goes through front brakes.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Did you correct the computer for the larger tires?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that was done. My Jeep actually rode better with the lift and tires and the computer is less glitchy than it was stock.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Softer shocks wont help, they would actually likely make it worse as they would allow for more wheel hop. Stiffer more responsive shocks are better. You dont have an auto locker installed by chance?
Failing that you might have a sensor or wire issue. If sharp bumps tend to trigger it there very well could be a momentary loss of input and the computer takes that as not spinning. For reference, I have a 14 jku and my esc light has only came on one time when I swerved and a tire went into the dirt. Never had issues on gravel but dont see that often around here.

You know about the wire cut trick, but you can also do that with an on off switch. There is also a "dance" you can do to turn off the stability control but I have heard that it causes a ding when you come to a stop.

Reactions: bbortko
1 - 9 of 9 Posts