Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded my JK unlimited Sport in for a 2019 JL Altitude. Like everything but the ESS. Would like to disable it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Traded my JK unlimited Sport in for a 2019 JL Altitude. Like everything but the ESS. Would like to disable it.

TERRIFIC offering called the SmartStopStart is what you want.

I installed one on my 2018 2dr. JL Rubicon about 15,000 miles ago and the SmartStopStart has performed flawlessly...

Well worth $129 for the unit. Install is easy, easy.......... :cool: 5 mins. or so to install.

Buy here:
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

·
Registered
332 Posts
Unplug your hood sensor.

Yes, a way.... if you do not mind having a warning light come up on the evic each time you start the JL.

Also, with that sensor unplugged, the remote start feature (if you bought that option) will not work..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also have the SmartStopStart. No issues and no difference seen in mpgs. The company is also working on a power window auto up/down but no details or timeline.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I don't mid the ESS at all. Granted I can control it a little more with the maunual transmission, but still I like sometimes sitting at a stop with the vehicle totally quiet.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't mid the ESS at all. Granted I can control it a little more with the maunual transmission, but still I like sometimes sitting at a stop with the vehicle totally quiet.
Me too. I don't really mind it at all. And it starts as soon as you touch the clutch. I thought it would seem like I was stalling, but it's fine.

And the Jeep computer says I'm getting over 19mpg, which seems crazy to me. My other Jeeps were in the 16-17 ranger

·
Registered
16 Posts
What engine do you have? I have the 2.0 turbo and I don't even notice the ess any longer. . . except when it's hot and the air conditioning basically turns off. There are several ways to disable it. Youtube should be able to assist.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What engine do you have? I have the 2.0 turbo and I don't even notice the ess any longer. . . except when it's hot and the air conditioning basically turns off. There are several ways to disable it. Youtube should be able to assist.

I have the 3.6. There is a button on the dash, but it only works for the current session and is reset when the engine if turned off.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
We have a rental JKU 2.0 turbo and ESS is a pain. It lurches every start and stop. The first thing we know hit the off button.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I hate it. There should be a hard disable switch that does not reset every time you start up the Jeep. The most annoying stop is when you pull into your garage and if you inch in that last few it will stop before you are actually where you want to be. Very annoying. Also, I don't like the idea of the engine suddenly deciding not to start back up. I want to be in a safe place when that happens not in the middle of some road.

I just ordered a smart start/stop. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts