Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Will be going offroading on the beaches in Delaware in a couple of weeks. How should I prep my 16 JK 75AE? Air compressor, shovel, traction board, skid plates, what should I get??

·
Registered
655 Posts
You shouldnt need skid plates for the beach

·
Registered
582 Posts
You have to have a tow strap, a good size board, shovel and have poles in the water actively fishing. There are maps you can look at or download that show access areas as well as the ones that have pump stations.

Unfortunately you will have to have a surf plate that is good for rhe whole calendar year. It cost $85. There are no daily permits for driving onto Delaware State Park beaches.

Tap'd from my 7+
OIIIIIIIO

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd say the best gear to bring is experience, but if you're short on that just be sure to pack a little common sense. :D

Seriously though, most beach driving is a walk in the park for any wrangler. I'm about to take my new JKUR to the OBX for the first time, but I've been there many times in a stock JKU Sahara and never had a problem. I rarely bother to air down and never bring any recovery gear, but I know I can get away with that because there are so many other people out there this time of year to help a guy out in the off chance I do get stuck.

Don't get me wrong though, basic beach gear is great if you have the money, the space, the inclination, or you're going somewhere a bit more remote. Otherwise go 4H, air down, make wide turns, stay out of the water, and have fun :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have unstuck about a zillion cars and trucks with just a 15' recovery strap, a couple of small shackles and sometimes a small shovel.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Guys this is not a matter of what you can get by with. This is what is required to be in your vehicle when you are on the beach at State Parks in Delaware. As well as the fact you have to have a pole in the water. You can get a fine or have your privileges revoked if you don't comply with the rules of being issued a surf fishing tag. That would be $85 down the drain. They do random checks. And if you drive on the beach without a surf plate the fine is pretty hefty.

Tap'd from my 7+
OIIIIIIIO

·
Registered
582 Posts
lol, and here I thought the "pole in the water" comment was just a fisherman's joke. :rofl:

Nope. If you don't have a pole in the water you will be asked to leave the park and possibly fined. And they patrol all day.

Tap'd from my 7+
OIIIIIIIO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts