Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler X, 3.8L, 6 Speed.
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Im trying to put together an essentials kit for my JK. Im not looking for a hardcore, repair everything kit, just a small bag of tools that are used most often for these vehicles. Ive got PLENTY of tools, so I will be pulling from what I've got to fill this need. Specific sockets, torx sizes, etc. that sort of thing. I don't get to do much radical offloading anymore, so I don't need front end disassembly tools or any extensive equipment. Since I usually don't have much space( 2 door Jk) id like to keep it to the bear minimum, if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler X, 3.8L, 6 Speed.
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1/2 breaker bar, 1/2 ratchet, some regular and deep sockets in the 7-21mm range (17/18/19 for sure) , zip ties, needle nose pliers, wd40, epoxy, fuses, wire, hose clamps, gloves .... Just to name a few. I put it all in a tool roll and socket/wrench bag that fit in my cubbie.
This is the examples im looking for. In the Army, we had a small toolbag of essentials, and that is what Im trying to make, only for a Jeep jk.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Add a roll of Gorilla tape to the list, along with a roll of TP and wet wipes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a plastic box of misc stuff. Here's my partial list as I can't remember it all. Tire plugs and repair stuff. Tie wire. Portable air compressor. Jump start pack, I use the Imazing one and it works well. Spare lug nuts. ,Electricians pliers, crescent wrench, Vise Grips, Channel locks, zip ties, duct tape, Small metric and inch socket sets. Freeze dried camping food packets, small stove. Water.Small hydraulic jack. I pack a lot of stuff and it stays in the Jeep because I am always forgetting to put something in there before leaving. If I go to Moab I also toss in a battery impact. This is just what I can remember.
Finally, IMO the most important piece, I carry a SPOTX . A smaller SPOT unit or Garmin InReach is also a good choice.

Keep in mind, I live in Wyoming and I am usually out of cell service and in remote areas. So I try to be self reliant.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Just don’t forget zip ties (large ones) and Jb Weld, a good knife/leatherman, and tire repair kit.
Troy

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you have an automatic trans, as i found out when a tranny cooler line let go......atf+4! Good 8 quarts to get you filled up again.
I had this happen to my JKU also. I had to walk a few miles to a store. Bought I think 4 qts of fluid, walked back and replaced the broken hose clamp and was on my way. The clamp that broke was made in China .

·
Banned
462 Posts
I had this happen to my JKU also. I had to walk a few miles to a store. Bought I think 4 qts of fluid, walked back and replaced the broken hose clamp and was on my way. The clamp that broke was made in China .
I was actually in my TJ sport 4.0 and was in a Jeep Jamboree! Got a few quarts from trail guild and got out. Got drove to town to get fluid. Got back and got oil in. Second day ruined. This JJ i had 8 quarts! Of course....no problems! Live and learn! That is what i love about this place. You learn what to do...and prepare for!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I carry the majority of my trail tools in a single medium sized Harbor Freight knock off Pelican case. Love it. Inside is another case with a full socket set of 1/4”. 3/8”, and 1/2“ sockets. In the same case a 1/2” breaker, meter, duct tape, bailing wire, a tool roll with screw drivers, various pliers, pry tools, ratcheting box wrenches and some other bits. Of course a hammer, some torx tools, a set of impact 1/2“ sockets, JB Weld, High lift repair kit, spare T Case linkage plastic deals that are supposedly known for failing, valve stem repair kit, rubber gloves and a few other things I can‘t think of off the top of my head. It weighs probably over 60 lbs, but is reasonably complete and takes up very little space in back and is easily secured.

I have another HF Pelican knock off with the various fluids in there only brought when on a harder trail. Recovery stuff like a tree saver, snatch block, winch remote, shackles, a number of ratchet straps, and tow strap are all in the molle tailgate bags (I think that is Smittybilt or something like that).

When I’m on a trip and have the metal box in back, it all fits in quite nicely. The JSCAN module lives in the Jeep and obviously I always have my phone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts