Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me the benefits of the etorque on the 3.6? From what I have read and understand it improves gas mileage by about 1 mile per hr especially with city driving. I'm kinda upset that if you want to buy the 3.6 now, unless you buy manual, you have to have the added etorque. I worry it would just be an added expense I would have to take care of or that could go wrong. I think the warranty covers it til 80,000. I know the turbo had it as an option but they have taken it off there and now it is only an option for the 3.6 build? To me it just seems odd that they removed it from one engine and are now forcing it on the other if you want automatic. To get a 3.6 now it cost more than the turbo? The turbo engines I hear a lot of people like and seem to be doing well but if I were to buy another jeep I would want to keep it past 100,000 and I worry about the longevity and maintenance of the turbo and it recommends premium gas. Lastly, I heard replacing the battery on the etorque is extremely expensive should you be out of warranty. I do know there is a diesel option as well and that the hybrid is coming too. I'm not interested in either of those.

·
Super Moderator
2,872 Posts
The biggest thing eTorque helps is ESS, smoother restarts; and yes you get about 1 mpg more. You can find a lot more reviews on eTorque for the Ram 1500 than Wrangler.

Yes the battery (68381513AA) is expensive outside of the 8yr/80k federal warranty. List price is $1,570 with sale prices of $1,000-$1,100

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Amillio, I’m in the same boat, I actually was at my Dealer yesterday with my build sheet for another Willys and want the 3.6 with the 8 speed auto, and select Trac options. I got all the calculations including what they will be giving me on a trade of my 2016 Willys, monthly payments, etc. and am up in the air yet with this E Torque thing. Can someone explain how this actually works? And I don’t know if the 3.6 and 8 speed trans has the ess control on it? I can’t really find too much info on this whole system. Any comments, it just has me a little concerned and until I understand this, I might be holding off on a new vehicle that I wanted.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely get it Ed. I don’t see myself getting rid of my current Jeep just yet. However, I am very curious to see if the 2021 rumored colors come. I am not happy with being forced into the etorque for the v6 especially when from what I understand it dosnt do much. Just makes the start/ stop a little better and adds maybe 1 mile per gallon? If I had the jl I would push the button and deactivate the start stop every time anyway. I don’t want my Jeep to shut off every time I stop. I also don’t want the extra price or maintenance of the etorque system. And although I don’t really go off-road from what I have seen of the underside on the turbos they look like a repair bill just waiting to happen.

·
Super Moderator
2,872 Posts
And I don’t know if the 3.6 and 8 speed trans has the ess control on it? I can’t really find too much info on this whole system.
Yes, it has ESS. Every engine/transmission combo in JL comes with ESS.

You will find more eTorque information by searching for Ram articles.

·
Super Moderator
13,092 Posts
That right there has been FCA’s trouble marketing eTorque: three years have passed and still no one really understands exactly what are its benefits. Yet FCA insists on shoving it down our throats.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Well, I guess I’ll see. Took my build sheet and order in to the Dealer at 2:00 Pm today, got mine on order with the 3.6 E Torque, 8 speed Auto transmission, Select Trac transfer case. Problem is, from now on, that’s the way it is. 8 Speed Auto trans., you get the 3.6 E Torque engine, no option. Hope I’ll be happy. We’ll see in 8-10 weeks when it arrives.

·
Super Moderator
13,092 Posts
Thing is, FCA has been trying to get people to buy the eTorque engines to little avail.

We will see if forcing us to get it with the V6 does the trick.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well, I guess I’ll see. Took my build sheet and order in to the Dealer at 2:00 Pm today, got mine on order with the 3.6 E Torque, 8 speed Auto transmission, Select Trac transfer case. Problem is, from now on, that’s the way it is. 8 Speed Auto trans., you get the 3.6 E Torque engine, no option. Hope I’ll be happy. We’ll see in 8-10 weeks when it arrives.

View attachment 4458004
I have owned most of them. From my first CJ manual trans with the AMC 304 V8 to my most recent 2017 Rubi with V6 automatic. After having so many manual trans Jeeps I thought I would miss it and I was right. The first automatic I had was a 2005 Sahara Rubicon Unlimited TJ. It was a straight six with a 3 speed automatic. That was when the Unlimited still had 2 doors but was a foot longer. While still capable off road that thing was a pig. When the first JK came out I bought it in manual trans and loved it. When it wore out I got my 2017 JK with an automatic. That trans was miles better than anything in a Jeep before and it did pretty good. Then along comes the new 8 speed auto. Driving the new 8 speed changes everything, it is super smooth and there seems to be the right gear for every occasion. My friends have Jeeps with it, I have driven several - it is simply a stellar trans ON AND OFF road. I think you will REALLY enjoy your new Jeep just the way you ordered it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My understanding is that the eTorque adds low end torque through an electric motor. I test drove the 2.0T and the 3.6 eTorque back to back and to me, the latter had more zip off the line. It also sounded better.
The biggest advantage is eTorque runs on regular gas, while premium is recommended for the 2.0T.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,872 Posts
My understanding is that the eTorque adds low end torque through an electric motor. I test drove the 2.0T and the 3.6 eTorque back to back and to me, the latter had more zip off the line. It also sounded better.
The biggest advantage is eTorque runs on regular gas, while premium is recommended for the 2.0T.

eTorque gives an extra boost from idle to about 1500 rpm before the engine’s torque overtakes the generator.

eTorque has absolutely no effect on what grade gas is used

·
Retired Moderator
105,600 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Reactions: jason4588
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.