Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Guys.

I just spent about 90 minutes reading old threads in the forum, but nothing really answered my question. I have a 2015 JKU-R-HR. I am slowly building it out for expedition jeeping. I've been rock crawling, didn't like it. But I do enjoy a long ride through the wilderness.

Local guy says I am pretty much OK with the stock Rubicon Hard Rock skid plates. I added the Rancho Differential Skid Plates and the Rugged Ridge lower Control Arm skid Plates. But he did suggest a skid plate for the evap canister mighe be nice too. I seem to remember a thread somewhere about relocating the evap canister rather than protecting it with a skid plate. Can't find that thread now.

I do electronics/electrical, I am no mechanic. I want to do what will be the best solution for my jeep. So please, if you have done either, what kit did you use and why did you choose what you did - skid plate or relocate?

Or BOTH?

Mike -- El Paso, Texas.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I am slowly building it out for expedition jeeping. I've been rock crawling, didn't like it. But I do enjoy a long ride through the wilderness
Since rock crawling may be less often a good evap skid plate <$100 will protect the fragile OEM bracket and evap from trails, wilderness etc. Relocating the evap unit is another good option but involves more work than replacing the OEM bracket. Might be overkill but I added the AL oil pan/trans skid plate for the wandering tree limb/trashcan obstacles one might encounter.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have an Evo skid on mine. Love it, super strong. Got a few good hits on it too.

Great part about the skid is you don't have to worry about throwing codes like some people have issues with after relocating it. Not-so great part is you probably need to drill different holes and slide it over a couple inches, or you're going to tear up your driveshaft boot on it, skid or not, if your jeep is lifted with an adjustable rear track bar or bracket.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Heres the two of the better options IMO,

This is a EVAP relocation bracket

JK Wrangler EVAP Canister Relocation and Concealment Kit

And here is a Skid AND a Air tank mount.

JK Skid Plate Air Tank Armor for Jeep Wranglers 07-14

The MC relocation kit is just to move the evap canister - it is an over engineered bracket that for the price does not do anything to protect the evap canister other than moving it up and back of the gas tank. The bracket is hefty and does nothing to protect the underside of the canister. The only relocation kit that also provides protection that is strictly for the evap canister is made my TNT Customs. The aluminum bracket is light weight and shields the canister on 3 sides.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I skidded mine (Rock Hard). That said, the skid I don't even think has a deep scratch on it.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
The MC relocation kit is just to move the evap canister - it is an over engineered bracket that for the price does not do anything to protect the evap canister other than moving it up and back of the gas tank. The bracket is hefty and does nothing to protect the underside of the canister. The only relocation kit that also provides protection that is strictly for the evap canister is made my TNT Customs. The aluminum bracket is light weight and shields the canister on 3 sides.
You don't need any protection for the canister if it is above the axle. The only way you are going to hurt it is if the axle housing breaks in to.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I got a thicker replacement bracket/enclosure for the evap canister although it looks like it would take a big rock in just the right place plus extreme high centering for the evap to be in danger.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,301 Posts
I left mine stock. The Rock Hards are all beat to hell, but I've never hit the Evap.
I have the full Rock Hard 4x4 skid plates on my 2015 Willys JK. All my skids are beat up EXCEPT the evap skid which is still pristine. Lots of back country roads and mild to moderate rock crawling.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
You don't need any protection for the canister if it is above the axle. The only way you are going to hurt it is if the axle housing breaks in to.
Not quiet true, I have heard of sticks getting pushed up against them. Better to have a skid plate just incase

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have the evo skid plate/enclosure for mine. Works great, and protected me from a hit big enough to put a gouge in it. I'm in a 4 door so maybe that's why.

But it also creates some issues, I had to move it over a bit to avoid contact with the driveshaft.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,301 Posts
Not quiet true, I have heard of sticks getting pushed up against them. Better to have a skid plate just incase
Hm, interesting. I guess stuff like that may have happened to me and it wouldn't leave a mark. I certainly haven't scraped or dropped on any rocks on it. But given the state of my other skids I am glad to have it just in case....

Reactions: colonel54

·
Registered
953 Posts
if you go in the woods and drive over branches , when the branch snaps it can go up and take out the evap can. ive installed several maybe 5 or 6 over the last few years for neighbors on their JKs after doing so , it wont hit on any rocks as its still pretty tucked in there but branches sure are hard on them. i would get whichever one is the best price.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I got the Smittybilt skid for mine. Like most others who went with a skid, mine has never been hit with mostly moderate rock play.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I looked around and found most approaches were $100+ but amazon had a chinesium steel 1/8" thick bracket for $50. One of the holes was in the wrong place for the hose/pipe so I opened it up with a drill and grinder. It looks like they used a different year for the product development, which put the pipe in a higher position than mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts