Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally pulled the trigger and got my evap skid. Rugged Ridge 18003.40 - Rugged Ridge Evaporator Skid Plate for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec I ordered it from Q-tec Tuesday and 44 hours later it arrived at my work via UPS ground. :thumb: I chose this one because of the pictures online appeared to be the most durable and best value from what I saw. Pleasantly surprised how solid it is (22 lbs) and the powdercoating looks better than my nerd bars. The install took less than an hour by myself and only took a 5/8" socket with extension and 5/8" wrench to finish up along with allen wrench that came with it.

View attachment 60008

SHINY !!!

View attachment 60009

Very vulnerable.

View attachment 60010

Clean install, about 1/2" between skid and canister.

View attachment 60011

I know... next service going to either paint or replace diff covers.

Monday I should receive my Skid Row Offroad JP-5000 - Skid Row Offroad Front Chassis Skid Plates for 07-09 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec to get rid of the cheesy loose plastic skid that rattles like crazy. Next order will be oil pan skid and c-res nets. Then Bushwacker flat fenders. Then terraflex 2.5" coil lift. Then I will be done modding for a bit. :nonono: Sure..... we know it's never ending money pit. :D

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Heh Heh-low ??

My Front diff/plate is 10" CL

the Front LCAs/plate are 10½" CL

The pan is 14½"--low ???

I can understand the protection, but it ain't low !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not so much how low they are for me, just protecting the most vulnerable/expensive fixes as I find the cash to do so. I also have been steering away from trails that have a lot of rocks because of the evap can. I will be wheeling with a bit more confidence now.

I have not seen any other evap skids in person, but I highly recommend this one. Easy install, affordable, and I'm sure I could jack the Jeep up using it. Even though there's no reason to do that. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Got the same skid plate, sitting in the garage ready to be installed. Your post has inspired me to tackle it this weekend.

Did you need a jack or something to hold up the evap can after you removed the factory bolts and while you were installing the bracket?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the same skid plate, sitting in the garage ready to be installed. Your post has inspired me to tackle it this weekend.

Did you need a jack or something to hold up the evap can after you removed the factory bolts and while you were installing the bracket?
No, held can with one hand and bracket with the other.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dont see a reason to spend money on a skid plate, I just relocate them to the axle well....takes 10 min.

I did three yesterday...

·
Get your Jeep dirty!!!
762 Posts
Buddy of mine went wheeling with me and he ripped out his evap half way thru the run.He has not replaced the damn thing as of late and claims he's getting better gas mileage without it :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
The Jk's will start tossing out codes if it is damaged or the air flow is inhibited....all the ones that I have seen get damaged within minutes the check engine light came on..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've read that if you do relocate it makes the check engine light go on. Any truth to it or its fine to move it because I'm shure it's cheaper to move it then gettin the plate

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The evap canister doesn't care where it's at. It can be on a trailer three cars behind you and if the wiring and hoses are intact and the vents aren't blocked it won't know the difference.

It looks like the pumpkin could hit it with it in the axle well, but you've have to bounce it pretty hard to do it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The evap canister doesn't care where it's at. It can be on a trailer three cars behind you and if the wiring and hoses are intact and the vents aren't blocked it won't know the difference.

It looks like the pumpkin could hit it with it in the axle well, but you've have to bounce it pretty hard to do it.
You position it behind the gas tank as tight to the upper spring perch as you can, the diff never even gets close to it at full articulation..

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've read that if you do relocate it makes the check engine light go on. Any truth to it or its fine to move it because I'm shure it's cheaper to move it then gettin the plate
When people move it and the light comes on, it is because they hooked it back up wrong...

·
Registered
355 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts