Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and need input from those of you who have been here a while. I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler, Sahara edition. Currently, I have a trouble code P0442 indicating emission issues. Every year for probably the last eight, we have dealt with this code by replacing gas caps and other small things, in order to pass emissions here in Georgia. The code will disappear for months at a time and I think I've got the problem solved; then it returns. Sometimes the check engine light will remain off for many months and then at some point that light comes back on indicating an error. I never get any other code except P0442.
Interestingly, the CEL will come on at times, and then turn itself back off! Not sure what that means.
Finally broke down and took it to a dealership to have it smoked. They are telling me I need a vapor canister, a leak detection pump, a duty solenoid and a fuel cap. They went on to say that in order to put one of these parts on, the gas tank would have to be dropped.
Before you even say it, I know how untrustworthy dealerships can be. My question is, if I have all these things in the EVAP system that are
"leaking" or in need of replacement , wouldn't I have more than just a single code, for a small evaporative leak? This makes no sense to me, and would love to have your input.
Thanks.

·
Registered
97' TJ 2.5L 5spd w/ Kumho Road Venture AT51 LT 31X10.50R15
142 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and need input from those of you who have been here a while. I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler, Sahara edition. Currently, I have a trouble code P0442 indicating emission issues. Every year for probably the last eight, we have dealt with this code by replacing gas caps and other small things, in order to pass emissions here in Georgia. The code will disappear for months at a time and I think I've got the problem solved; then it returns. Sometimes the check engine light will remain off for many months and then at some point that light comes back on indicating an error. I never get any other code except P0442.
Interestingly, the CEL will come on at times, and then turn itself back off! Not sure what that means.
Finally broke down and took it to a dealership to have it smoked. They are telling me I need a vapor canister, a leak detection pump, a duty solenoid and a fuel cap. They went on to say that in order to put one of these parts on, the gas tank would have to be dropped.
Before you even say it, I know how untrustworthy dealerships can be. My question is, if I have all these things in the EVAP system that are
"leaking" or in need of replacement , wouldn't I have more than just a single code, for a small evaporative leak? This makes no sense to me, and would love to have your input.
Thanks.
You wont necessarily get different codes to what you're experiencing. But, to how often you get that code, it could be a little rust around the filler neck, Purge valve solenoid barely sticking and unsticks it'self when you hit a little bump, lose or small crack in a vapor line(s) and/or connections, or, a quick fuel up while the jeep is still running.

It is possible you'll need all the parts they listed, but, it is possible they couldn't find the leak so they are recommending all known parts that commonly go bad when that code is tripped.
As for dropping the fuel tank, I'm sure they're adding that in so they can check and clean, or replace, all fuel vapor line(s)/connector(s) and/or related parts that connect to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
146 Posts
On our '04 TJ, we had a bad seal where the fuel pump drops into the tank. We replaced the whole unit and the problem went away. Not sure if that could be your problem, but it would be worth investigating. Dropping the tank isn't that much of a problem so long as there is only a minor amount of fuel in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You wont necessarily get different codes to what you're experiencing. But, to how often you get that code, it could be a little rust around the filler neck, Purge valve solenoid barely sticking and unsticks it'self when you hit a little bump, lose or small crack in a vapor line(s) and/or connections, or, a quick fuel up while the jeep is still running.

It is possible you'll need all the parts they listed, but, it is possible they couldn't find the leak so they are recommending all known parts that commonly go bad when that code is tripped.
As for dropping the fuel tank, I'm sure they're adding that in so they can check and clean, or replace, all fuel vapor line(s)/connector(s) and/or related parts that connect to the fuel tank.
Thanks for your response. I'm going to have to learn some more about my own car.
On our '04 TJ, we had a bad seal where the fuel pump drops into the tank. We replaced the whole unit and the problem went away. Not sure if that could be your problem, but it would be worth investigating. Dropping the tank isn't that much of a problem so long as there is only a minor amount of fuel in it.
Thanks for your thoughts on this issue. Certainly worth considering. Other than the P0442 code, the car is completely asymptomatic; runs great, no fuel smell, fuel consumption pretty consistent, nothing but that single code. I decided to just clear the code and go drive and see what happened. After an overnight cold soak, I hooked up the OBD scanner, and all cycles had completed except one, which was enough to get me through emissions successfully. I'm determined to learn more about my Jeep so I feel more confident about making small repairs at least. Thanks for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts