Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly working my way through replacing all the components of my EVAP system. My carbon canister had melted through due to an after-market muffler being too close to it. I installed a MetalCloak relocation bracket and put a new canister in, and now instead of P0440 (General EVAP system fault) I now get the Gascap message in the dash and a MIL with P0456 (small evap leak).

My question: what is the thing in front of the battery that the evap line connects to. There are two lines coming from area of the fuel tank, one goes straight to the intake manifold right after the throttle body, the other goes past the battery and connects to this strange looking thing in front of the battery.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes. Like anything else can. They actually fail more often then most other things minus the vent valve. The purge valve duty cycles (meaning open and closes via being turned of and on and is rated as in percentage open against closed) per request.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The chances chat EVAP canister purge valve is bad are quite low. In your case I would check Fuel Vapor Leak Detection Pump (the white piece attached to evap canister) - if it is properly installed, no dust or any damages in it, cable attached and the gasket between it and eavap canister is present and in good shape. This gasket happens to be lost during assembly process cam be the cause of your codes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it seems like the problem might be solved. I cranked the gas cap in pretty tight (it's definitely a strange fit), and found that one of the hoses to the EVAP canister wasn't tight. Having addressed those two things I drove around a bunch to complete the drive cycles and the MIL finally went off and all my I/M Monitors are showing ready...:) Let's hope this is the end of these issues.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions and great knowledge.

Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts