Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had their factory evaporator skid/holder damage their rear drive shaft.
It's not a very clear shot, (pic was taken at night)... but you can still see the areas on the boot that was pinched against the metal skid/holder of the evaporator. The boot did not tear, but was close to getting holes on it. I did not do any heavy wheeling it was pretty much just flexing on some trails.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I have read of at least one other person that had his rear driveshaft boot hit the 2012 stock evap skid. He changed it to a Poison Spyder evap skid and gained about another inch of clearance and much better skid protection. I'm probably going to replace my stock skid with one this spring.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Has anyone had their factory evaporator skid/holder damage their rear drive shaft.
It's not a very clear shot, (pic was taken at night)... but you can still see the areas on the boot that was pinched against the metal skid/holder of the evaporator. The boot did not tear, but was close to getting holes on it. I did not do any heavy wheeling it was pretty much just flexing on some trails.
I have read of at least one other person that had his rear driveshaft boot hit the 2012 stock evap skid. He changed it to a Poison Spyder evap skid and gained about another inch of clearance and much better skid protection. I'm probably going to replace my stock skid with one this spring.
Well that's good info to know. I wasn't planning on getting a better skid there, initially. Sounds like I oughta re-think things.

Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
These are not my photos, they belong to bbolander on another forum. They show the damage on the boot; the clearance between the rear driveshaft and the stock evap skid; and the clearance between the rear driveshaft and the skid after replacing the stock skid with the Poison Spyder skid. The guy is running a 2" Mopar lift on his 2012 JKU. Apparently the damage happened when he was in a weird off-camber situation. After doing more research, I found a few other people running 2.5" lifts that have similar issues.
IMG_1261e.jpg
IMG_1239d.jpg
IMG_1276t.jpg

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For now I will figure out a way to cut or modify the factory skid and maybe order the Poison Spyder skid later. I have a 3.5 suspension lift so I hope the 2 inch clearance will help prevent any further damage.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
For now I will figure out a way to cut or modify the factory skid and maybe order the Poison Spyder skid later. I have a 3.5 suspension lift so I hope the 2 inch clearance will help prevent any further damage.
Out of curiosity, did your axle get recentered under the jeep after you put on the 3.5" lift? If your axle is setting to one side, it might be contributing to the problem.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Is this because the 2012's have a bigger cover?
Only 2012's come with that skid. I'm thinking the issue has something to do with your lift. Even though it's close, why would your drive shaft be moving that far to the side to make contact?

Come to think of it, that damage can't be from contacting that skid. Something else was pressed up against it, possibly during installation of your lift. Your drive shaft spins. Any contact would either rip the boot or make the contact marks all the way around, not just on one side.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
So this seems to be an issue only for folks with a lift, then?
I'm still unclear, sorry.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Come to think of it, that damage can't be from contacting that skid. .... Any contact would either rip the boot or make the contact marks all the way around, not just on one side.
Good catch! Daggo cuts to the chase, again.... The pictured damage isn't from a spinning driveshaft contacting the skid. More likely, it took a rock, or was damaged (looks crushed) some other way, as daggo suggested....

·
Bludger
12,830 Posts
Mine wasn't near the factory skid & it's not anywhere the poison spider skid I have on it now, it's a good 2.5" away, actually it's closer to my fuel tank skid,like 1" & doesn't touch that. I agree the one in the pic' looks like it was damaged some other way because if it had touched the skid in motion it would have ripped it more than that, they aren't very thick

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Out of curiosity, did your axle get recentered under the jeep after you put on the 3.5" lift? If your axle is setting to one side, it might be contributing to the problem.
The axle appears to be pretty well centered. I will have to recheck and make sure it is...

Only 2012's come with that skid. I'm thinking the issue has something to do with your lift. Even though it's close, why would your drive shaft be moving that far to the side to make contact?

Come to think of it, that damage can't be from contacting that skid. Something else was pressed up against it, possibly during installation of your lift. Your drive shaft spins. Any contact would either rip the boot or make the contact marks all the way around, not just on one side.
I'm guessing others are not getting that much movement on their rear axel?
The skid has marking where contact was made with the plastic boot on the drive shaft, and I noticed the plastic boot on the drive shaft has some small tears on it. I'm guessing it did not rub for too long like the pictures posted by Roadking.
I guess I will be looking to see if anyone else with the 3.5 AEV lift is having this issue..
Mine wasn't near the factory skid & it's not anywhere the poison spider skid I have on it now, it's a good 2.5" away, actually it's closer to my fuel tank skid,like 1" & doesn't touch that. I agree the one in the pic' looks like it was damaged some other way because if it had touched the skid in motion it would have ripped it more than that, they aren't very thick
See if you or anyone else can please get me some shots of your rear axel when the jeep is flexing... I just want to know how much the rear axel shifts and what I need to do to correct the problem.

This is the lift that I have installed.... AEV 3.5" DualSport SC Suspension System with Bilstein Shocks
For 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with LHD
AEV Conversions N0234100AA - AEV 3.5" DualSport SC Suspension System with Bilstein Shocks for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with LHD - Quadratec

The pics below where taken today on a small ditch that was enough to put the Jeep in a awkward position and show that the rear drive shaft boot rubs against the evaporator skip plate. Only the plastic boot rubs and not the metal part of the drive shaft rubs.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I took my 2012 4 door wrangler out last night. That boot got ripped off completely at some point. I'm now running bootless. I have read you can't just buy a new boot for this. What are my options? Is it really necessary to have this boot? It looks like I need to invest in a Poison Spyder Evap Skid plate (Jeep Evap Skid | Jeep Evap Protection | Jeep Evap Armor | Poison Spyder Customs) Just looking for input on what to do with my torn boot now...

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I took my 2012 4 door wrangler out last night. That boot got ripped off completely at some point. I'm now running bootless. I have read you can't just buy a new boot for this. What are my options? Is it really necessary to have this boot? It looks like I need to invest in a Poison Spyder Evap Skid plate (Jeep Evap Skid | Jeep Evap Protection | Jeep Evap Armor | Poison Spyder Customs) Just looking for input on what to do with my torn boot now...
The boot (if you're talking about the one in the bo9roadking's photos above) is simply there to keep dust off the driveshaft's slip joint. Aftermarket ds's like JE Reel (what I've got), Tom Woods, etc don't have the boot at all.

The important boot is the one that covers your CV joint. If that one goes, you'll see a stripe of grease on your undercarriage, and you'll know it's time for a new ds.

Here's a thread that explains it better: Torn drive shaft boot - new drive shaft required?

There's a link at the bottom of my post (#4) that you can go to for more info.

And here's a link to pluke's thread about what happens when the CV joint goes: What Happens to Your OEM Driveshaft When You Put a 3"+ Lift on Your Jeep

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is the rear part where it splines into the shaft. I know its not urgent but is it basically a useless part or should I at least consider a drive shaft at some point? Here is a picture to show you, I tore it off at that point because it was obviously making some noise.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm replacing my second boot that's been torn up by the factory skid. Small little berm is all it took. Sucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts