Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was working on my jeep this morning in the garage. one second everything was fine, next second my front passenger side tire was completely flat. it literally deflated in a few seconds. i thought maybe i hot the valve stem (but it lost air too fast for that) so i tried airing it up to see where the leak was and i heard the air coming out of the sidewall on the inside of the tire. there was a cut in the sidewall about 3 inches long. it was just sitting in my garage. strangest thing.

these tires were on the jeep when i bought it so i don't know how old they are but since they had good tread i didn't replace them. i'm buying 4 new ones tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Weird. Lucky it was just sitting there.

·
Registered
645 Posts
We had one explode while the truck was sitting in the shop over the weekend. Shook dust off the rafters and caused car alarms to go off. Be glad that didn't happen while you were next to the jeep.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
strange thing was i was in the garage the whole time and never heard it. i had my back to the jeep for a few minutes at my work bench and when i turned around it was completely flat. never heard it bust or anything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cajun,

Never like that. Let us know the tire date though. That sounds like the culprit. However, you failed to mention what brand tires they were. Maybe they were under recall in the past?

Doc

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
had my wife take pics of the sidewall and this was the only thing that looked like it code be a date code but this doens't even look like a date code example i saw online. i wonder if its on the inside of the tire

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
My buddy had two KO2's blow apart (a year apart for each other). Both were at 80-90% tread. He was doing 25mph and 40mph when they exploded.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
We had one explode while the truck was sitting in the shop over the weekend.
Back in the early '90s, I had driven my Shelby Charger to a local speed shop. I parked next to whatever random car was already in the stall next to mine and went inside to make my purchase. While I was at the counter, everybody heard a loud explosion outside and my car alarm instantly went off. The sidewall of that other car's front tire had ruptured violently while it was parked there.

Before that day, if you had told me a tire could spontaneously explode I would have said you were nuts.

Reactions: Dr. Brian

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back in the early '90s, I had driven my Shelby Charger to a local speed shop. I parked next to whatever random car was already in the stall next to mine and went inside to make my purchase. While I was at the counter, everybody heard a loud explosion outside and my car alarm instantly went off. The sidewall of that other car's front tire had ruptured violently while it was parked there.

Before that day, if you had told me a tire could spontaneously explode I would have said you were nuts.
i have heard of that happening but have never seen it. it makes sense that it would make a lot of noise since the tire is holding in so much pressure, once there is a way to escape it will be violent. its odd the way mine happened. don't see how a 3 inch gash could appear and i not hear it when i was in the garage with it. very odd.

·
Registered
45 Posts
... it makes sense that it would make a lot of noise since the tire is holding in so much pressure ...
Actually, 29-32 PSI really isn't that much pressure when you compare it to your bicycle. My mountain bike tire pressure is at least 45 psi ... and I know road bikes are higher upwards of 60 psi. That's why in a pinch, I can use my hand pump to fill a tire with air.

It's the volume of air that can scare the living daylights out of you. :)

Clearly though ... the examples given are why there are recalls.

·
Registered
787 Posts
had a tire on my dump truck blow while setting at the quarry waiting to be loaded. didn't know what caused it, other that I could have picked up a rock between the duels. but talk about loud, the loader driver almost came out of his cab. no I didn't get that load, headed to the tire store.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The amount of force contained by a tire is awesome. Remember pressure is pounds per square inch. The bigger the tire, the more square inches. 35 lbs of pressure is pushing to escape every inch of area in the tire. Tons of force.

C= ╥ * D so C = 3.14*35 = 109.9 round to 110 in in circumference.

Approximate area of just the tread inside the tire.. not counting sidewall. 110*12 = 1320

Pressure times area 35psi * 1320 = 46,200 lbs of force.. not including sidewall area.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
One of the Dick Cepek tires that was originally on my Jeep just randomly was flat when I woke up one morning. No nail or anything to puncture it, just a hole in the sidewall. Thank god I had new tires arrive the day before

·
Registered
15,677 Posts
Ok but no way for that force to do much real work as it is distributed over a wide area and in opposing directions

But yes a fair amount of work was done to inflate the tire to a little over 2 atmospheres of pressure
But that work is related to pressure and volume not surface area.

Less then one atmosphere of pressure over a large area exerts a massive force

Example in engineering lab they had a standard size oil drum attached to a vacuum pump with a threaded hole into which they screwed various size nozzles and then studied incoming air flow with pitot static tube moved around to different points in flow

Some young foolish student placed the palm of his hand over the nozzle blocking it.
The nozzle cross section was only about an inch so even if approaching full vacuum would only have been 14 or 15 lbs force on his hand, but as vacuum built that same force per square inch over the entire surface area of the oil drum resulted in a loud bang as barrel suddenly collapsed and one foolish looking and scared student

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,677 Posts
The problem with your equating area and pressure to amount of energy is it suggests two equal 1 cubic foot volume tanks one a sphere and the over a very long cylinder with a one inch radius have different amounts of stored energy at the same pressure just because one has a much larger surface area.

Both take same amount of work to pump same volume of air to same pressure and thus both store same amount of air pressure energy

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts