Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had that odd feeling of being inadequate...on the road? Usually hits the stockers like me. Has this happened to anyone? Please feel free...add your sob story.

2 days ago. I have to get my son and daughter from summer camp and daycare respectively. She forgot to switch cars with me. Or more like it was a nice day and I wanted to go topless, so i go to work knowing I have to drive a bit more to get the car seat before picking the kids up. I don't mind, I'm in a jeep. Grinning ear to ear and jamming to some Rush (YYZ) I go to my wife's work and snag the lovely pink graco car seat. I pop it in, and off I go to get the kids...

Minutes later, kids are strapped in, they start telling me to turn off the best prog band of all time off to put on lady freaking gaga or train or some shit from the back seats. I comply just because I get a kick out my 2 year old jamming with "ducky" the stuffed animal that she takes to day care for nap time. She makes it dance and she bobs all over the car seat like a maniac.

I get to my turning lane. Next to me is this really sharp Rubi in this gorgeous bright blue, mesh cloth cage, huge aggressive powder coated wheels, big old lift, winch, powder coated hood, crazy rock rails, bad ass stance, light bar, nice throaty roar from the engine on idle....everything i want some day...Bottom line..this was a really nice jeep much like some I see every day on the forums here.

And there I was and looked over. No hiding at all. We are literally next to one another, but I have to look up and across to see his ride. He and his wife/sig other, guessing in their 50s, were decent enough to do the wave. Reciprocated back. Nice! It's not just me that feels obligated to wave.

I could feel him looking at my stock Jeep. It was the longest light ever. Why would he want to look at my jeep?

Then I remembered that both kids were in the car. Be cool Don. Daughter in her ultra cool car seat. Son playing DS. Top down. They finally noticed this jeep too. So what do the kids do?

A 2 yr old girl and 7 yr old boy proceed to tell me loudly and over and over that the man next to us has a much much cooler jeep than daddy. I saw the man and woman laughing my rear view mirror while I made my left.

FML.

Any stories you care to add? Or am I alone in my misery of feeling this way next to a monster ?

:eek:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
maybe they were reliving some of their own "cute kids" memories....now grown, gone, and they can finally drive what they want without depriving their progeny of fruit loops....

Or maybe they were on their way over to the grandkids to take them for a ride....

or maybe they were taking a last ride before the repo man comes....

or maybe.....they were just having as good a day as you were...up till then....

Delayed gratification is a learned skill. Graceful delayed gratification is a social skill I was never good at.

Thanks for the story....it does remind me of some of my own similar moments.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nope. I've never felt inadequate in my Jeep, and it's pretty much stock. Why compare? There will always be someone with more money, more toys, more mods etc. I appreciate other Jeeps I see on the road, but my Jeep is the one that makes me smile.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Every time I've come out of the store with a lifted jeep on 33's or larger parked next to mine whenis it wasto stock withradio tiny 29's or so. Until I bought my 33's of course. Not so much anymore... happy where it is now. :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
No...

Don, you should never feel inadequate about your Jeep ever. People laughing aren't real Jeepers in my opinion. Not cool. You were the true Jeeper at that light.

Your Jeep is just as awesome as any other. They all rock.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I love my jeep. IT'S MINE AND GOING TO BE EVERYTHING I WANT.

My jeep is mostly stock. I still have 30x9.5x15 tires, but changed to some used Cragar rims, and I've done a 2.25" bb. I purchased it in April and love every minute I get to go for a ride. Someday would I like a 4" lift and 33s or 35s? Probably, but it isn't in my budget right now and doesn't look like it will be for some time to come.

Do I ever feel inadequate driving my jeep? HELL FREAKING NO!!!!!. I OWN A JEEP, THE BEST VEHICLE EVER!!!!!.

The people were probably laughing at your kids because they remember their own saying the same thing to them before they started emptying their pockets.

Last night my wife and kids got a "hunger" for a midnight snack and we all piled in to go to Wendy's at 12am. There was a beautiful TJ in front of us with a lift, 33 Mickeys, some beadlocks, rock guards, and everything else. This jeep was a head turner and something my jeep inspires to be when it grows up. When he noticed me behind him he turned to wave and we all waved back, I asked what size tires he had because they looked really good with the set up and he thanked me. After he got his food he spun around and was next to us on my wife's side looking my jeep over. If I was every going to feel inadequate that would have been the time, but I was too busy admiring his setup. I told him he had a really nice jeep, and he said he loved mine. I told him it was still stock and slowly getting there, and he advised me to enjoy the jeep for what I have now, not for what I want. Everyone can sink money into a jeep and make it look like an off road proven jeep, but only a try jeep lover can sink money into what they need to take the jeep everywhere they want to go. Every upgrade he did was for a need that he found while four wheeling and everyone has to start somewhere. After talking for a few we went our separate ways and I puffed my chest a little more because I just spent some time with a true jeeper that knows the meaning "it's a jeep thing".

Next time you feel a little inadequate, look around you at a traffic light. There may be a really beautiful jeep, but I can almost guarantee there will be a non-jeep as well, and they are the ones feeling the inadequate issues.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Honestly,with the "JEEP" logo on the front, I don't care what's on their mind! Seventy years of tradition ride behind those letters! Ride with Pride,be good to your kids,and never settle.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nope.

Sure, I'll look at other rigs and think, I wish I had that lift, winch, armor, etc., but most of the rigs I see that are maxed out with all the gear I can recognize haven't been off-road, or have stuff that will never be needed by the owner. How can anyone not get a scratch on a vehicle like that and it is shiny as the day they bought it because they have it detailed twice a month.

I'm happy with what I have. Maybe a little envious of what I see that I can't afford, but I've got a Jeep and even my little non-blinged, non-maxed 4 banger gets simple compliments like, "I want to get a Jeep someday."

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Hey Don, maybe it's not all about you. They were probably having a good time talking about something and were laughing, that's all. Why do you assume they're laughing "at" you. I bet they weren't. I know that being in that approx. age bracket I appreciate any Jeep on the road stock or not and any year. We did what we did with our Rubi at this stage of the game because we couldn't do it before. I still enjoy driving my YJ also. You have a nice 4dr that works for you, that's all that counts. At least you weren't next to them in a mini van. :thumb:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point! I didn't mean I drive around with jeep envy, hey, I have one. But when you want to upgrade and see one you like and get your kids into it telling you that the guys jeep is cooler then mine, I surely felt it. I certainly don't drive around with my tail tucked between my stock wheels. It's a jeep! I was just hoping to see if anyone else had a funny / memorable story about being in their jeep and seeing someting that was a picture of expensive perfection, thats all.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That's why I read JEEPboy, and JEEPhouse magazines, to READ the articles about how inadequate "others" feel, ohhh, and I ALWAYS look at the pictures, especially the topless ones!

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
ask the kids how they feel about walking...
or tell them they can donate to the upgrade fund at any time
or remind them when your birthday, anniversary, and christmas are

·
Registered
160 Posts
No. Everyone has different tastes, goals and necessities. I want my Jeep to look totally factory and my Wrangler fills my needs just about perfect.

I still do the wave to ALL wranglers.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Never inadequate just ideas for future mods

·
Registered
70 Posts
New to the Jeep world, she will be 1 month old tomorrow :). Inadequate, um, no, never. Picked up my 15 yo daughter last thursday, she has been out of town, did not know we bought the jeep, first thing she said after the screaming in the parking lot was "you finally got a cool car!". Riding down the road, 2 lane country highway, top down, sun glasses on, Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy on the ipod - she looks over with the biggest smile EVER and says "This is SO COOL". I am the cool mom, I have the jeep :).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don, you should never feel inadequate about your Jeep ever. People laughing aren't real Jeepers in my opinion. Not cool. You were the true Jeeper at that light.

Your Jeep is just as awesome as any other. They all rock.

Well said !!!1 A jeep is a jeep, just a caddie it a caddie... Don't matter how high it is off the ground its a jeep...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you ever had that odd feeling of being inadequate...on the road? Usually hits the stockers like me. Has this happened to anyone? Please feel free...add your sob story.

2 days ago. I have to get my son and daughter from summer camp and daycare respectively. She forgot to switch cars with me. Or more like it was a nice day and I wanted to go topless, so i go to work knowing I have to drive a bit more to get the car seat before picking the kids up. I don't mind, I'm in a jeep. Grinning ear to ear and jamming to some Rush (YYZ) I go to my wife's work and snag the lovely pink graco car seat. I pop it in, and off I go to get the kids...

Minutes later, kids are strapped in, they start telling me to turn off the best prog band of all time off to put on lady freaking gaga or train or some shit from the back seats. I comply just because I get a kick out my 2 year old jamming with "ducky" the stuffed animal that she takes to day care for nap time. She makes it dance and she bobs all over the car seat like a maniac.

I get to my turning lane. Next to me is this really sharp Rubi in this gorgeous bright blue, mesh cloth cage, huge aggressive powder coated wheels, big old lift, winch, powder coated hood, crazy rock rails, bad ass stance, light bar, nice throaty roar from the engine on idle....everything i want some day...Bottom line..this was a really nice jeep much like some I see every day on the forums here.

And there I was and looked over. No hiding at all. We are literally next to one another, but I have to look up and across to see his ride. He and his wife/sig other, guessing in their 50s, were decent enough to do the wave. Reciprocated back. Nice! It's not just me that feels obligated to wave.

I could feel him looking at my stock Jeep. It was the longest light ever. Why would he want to look at my jeep?

Then I remembered that both kids were in the car. Be cool Don. Daughter in her ultra cool car seat. Son playing DS. Top down. They finally noticed this jeep too. So what do the kids do?

A 2 yr old girl and 7 yr old boy proceed to tell me loudly and over and over that the man next to us has a much much cooler jeep than daddy. I saw the man and woman laughing my rear view mirror while I made my left.

FML.

Any stories you care to add? Or am I alone in my misery of feeling this way next to a monster ?

:eek:

NEVA !!!! who cares... Everyone started some place with a JEEP I started stock and pretty much am still there... hook it up a bit to make it more your own and not worry about about other people's Jeeps.. I for one love driving the jeep with Dogs and Kids and even my mother.. Its fun and I see high ones and low ones drive by, but for the driving on the roads I am happy with stock to me its safer... however I do want new wheels and tires just to make mine look nicer and I look at other peoples and use theres as my goal.. If you buy the top of line you really don't have much room for mods they are usually already hooked up... Stick with the low model cause the mods are endless... Enjoy your jeep they are just to much fun not to enjoy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts