Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm newish with my wrangler 02 and want to start upgrading.
My priorities are Lifting it a little, side steps, types and a winch bar.

Ideas on what lift I should get ?which I should get first out of the above? Which order. Thank you !

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Alot has to do with your plans for your jeep. Offroading performance or for looks only? How much lift? bigger tires?

·
Banned
20 Posts
Go with a 2 inch coil lift, if you want another inch add a 1 inch spacer in the front. You will be able to run 33 's with little to no issues. To make sure your not gonna rub throw a set of tube fenders on. For steps go with a rocker knocker or smittybilt rock slider if your on a budget. I did and they work great and can be had for about 250. Tires and wheels I would go with a pro comp rock crawler wheel about 50 a piece and don't look hideous like all these 18 inch wheels with chrome and stars on em. Tires look at a BFG or Goodyear. I went with bfg's because they have a 1050 in a 33. I like the tall and skinny look. It it all depends on how much u want to spend. Smittybilt also sells winch plates and winches. Quadratech is also putting out some decent winches for under 300 these days.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Cons_Table said:
Instead of messing with a 1" spacer...just put a 1" body lift. That will prove to be more beneficial in the future if the OP ever thinks about putting any sort of under armor on it.
This all depends on how much u want to spend. Instead of staying away from a spacer all together like this clown said do the spacer first then go to a body lift. That gives you 4 inches in the front and 3 in the back. This is exactly what I did and it's perfect. The spacer compensates for the weight of the winch and bumper with little to no sag

·
Banned
20 Posts
Cons_Table said:
Instead of messing with a 1" spacer...just put a 1" body lift. That will prove to be more beneficial in the future if the OP ever thinks about putting any sort of under armor on it.
Also what armor are you referring to. How does a 1 inch body lift help any install of armor. I hope your not talking about sliders because that was a pain in the ass with the install of a 1 inch body lift

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Also what armor are you referring to. How does a 1 inch body lift help any install of armor. I hope your not talking about sliders because that was a pain in the ass with the install of a 1 inch body lift
I think he means being able to raise the transmission/xfercase and going with a stronger aftermarket skidplate. (aka Tummy tuck)

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Tummy tuck...gas tank skid...all of which gain you a ton of clearance underneath with a body lift installed.

Also, rocker guards are not difficult to install with body lift installed. Did it on mine, all you have to to is trim the pucks down the thickness of the rocker.

As far as a spacer is concerned for weight compensation...I am assuming since the OP is asking for mod ideas, there is no need for a spacer since I would guess he doesnt have an aftermarket bumper or winch, therefore no need for compensation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's another option, depending on what you want to spend. After much thought and research, I decided to order OME suspension components from Northridge4x4 (a U.S. distributor) for my 2006 Unlimited to give me 2.5" or so of lift. I spec'd all the same components as OME's heavy kit (OMETJHK has shocks, coils, bump stop extension kit, rear track bar relocation bracket, steering dampener) except I ordered 2949 heavy coil springs (for LJ) and OME's Sport shocks (60049) based on advice I got from this site and from talking with ARB. I'm going to go with 31 or 32" tires, which will be fine for my purposes. My LJ is a daily driver that has to fit underneath parking garages with a 6 foot 6 inch max height, but I enjoy exploring fire roads and trails in the local National Forest with my son on the weekends. I'll see how much lift I get with the OME gear and if it's not enough, I'll probably go with a M.O.R.E. 1" body lift.

Old Man Emu has a good reputation and ARB is an Aussie company so you should be able to get their gear pretty easily down under. Old Man Emu 4x4 Suspension | ARB 4x4 Accessories

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts