Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed how I'm able to view all the various fluid temps via the EVIC. Just curious what would be the normal operating range of the fluids listed. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
The highest I've seen the transmission temp was 172F. Coolant reached 212F, briefly. Then I did the hood vent mod, I opened them up, the coolant high is about 205F now, briefly. Cruising on the highway in 70F weather the coolant is about 195-199F.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I noticed coolant was at 208° and wondered if that was high. I figure anything below 212° is okay. I believe my transmission fluid was around 165° if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have seen mine go up to 222 on a hot day in traffic, nothing exploded. Haven't checked what the coolant cap it rated to but I don't know if the evic readings are terribly accurate. I have watched it in Celsius and it will run at about a 15 second cycle of climbing to 94 then dropping to 89 before starting to climb again while cruising on the highway with cruise control on. I switched it over to Fahrenheit and it just stuck at 202 and didn't budge until I got off the highway and slowed down. So I just use it as a "kinda around x temp".

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I get surprised with the low coolant temps. I see 225* anytime I am paying attention or figuring that I need to watch it, off road or climbing a high pass. Fan kicks on a drops back to 210 or so. So under 210 is frosty in my mind.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
So I just use it as a "kinda around x temp".
That about sums it up. I've seen temps go from 195-199F in the blink of an eye, then up to 204F and down to 192F in the blink of an eye. ATF takes about 20 miles or more on the highway to reach 170F.

I haven't tried Celsius readings yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 2, 2015 JKUHR's.

My wife's coolant runs 195-202 all day and 195-199 on freeway with Trans temps of 172-175. 7000 miles on it. Never seen coolant higher than 210 sitting in traffic or running rock obsticals in the middle of the Mojave desert. Only mods are full Rock Hard Aluminum skid plate system

Mine runs 210-228 with a low on the freeway of 204 and Trans temps of 168 to a high of 170. 3000 miles on it. Just acquired this one 6 weeks ago and zero mods.

At idle, mine is always in the 220 range. Hers, 202-204. My Trans temps are always cooler than hers rarely exceeding 168

I suspect my thermostat just opens later. I guess it's possible that it is EVIC inconsistent temp sensors. Because of her lower coolant temps, I still watch mine all the time. Trust will come with time. :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have 2, 2015 JKUHR's.

My wife's coolant runs 195-202 all day and 195-199 on freeway with Trans temps of 172-175. 7000 miles on it. Never seen coolant higher than 210 sitting in traffic or running rock obsticals in the middle of the Mojave desert. Only mods are full Rock Hard Aluminum skid plate system

Mine runs 210-228 with a low on the freeway of 204 and Trans temps of 168 to a high of 170. 3000 miles on it. Just acquired this one 6 weeks ago and zero mods.

At idle, mine is always in the 220 range. Hers, 202-204. My Trans temps are always cooler than hers rarely exceeding 168

I suspect my thermostat just opens later. I guess it's possible that it is EVIC inconsistent temp sensors. Because of her lower coolant temps, I still watch mine all the time. Trust will come with time. :)
I don't think the thermostat is all that different... The thermostat is rumored to be be like 203-206... It is the fan that brings down the temp. Some fans just kick on at a higher temp then others. Judging from the overheated 2016 on here in the last couple of days, some don't kick on at all! But these engine run HOT!, so if you are seeing around 200 or less, your fan is running more, wearing out faster, than an engine that is running 220+. But the flip side is that who knows if that high of temp is good for the life of the engine?

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
I have 2, 2015 JKUHR's.

My 2016 JKUR runs just like yours, 210-228 and trans 165. It has 2500 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
7,626 Posts
I don't think the thermostat is all that different... The thermostat is rumored to be be like 203-206... It is the fan that brings down the temp. Some fans just kick on at a higher temp then others. Judging from the overheated 2016 on here in the last couple of days, some don't kick on at all! But these engine run HOT!, so if you are seeing around 200 or less, your fan is running more, wearing out faster, than an engine that is running 220+. But the flip side is that who knows if that high of temp is good for the life of the engine?
My fan isn't running at 200F, in fact after driving an hour yesterday in 78F weather the fan didn't come on at all. The highest temp I saw was 204F. Now if you run the AC or defroster the fan is on all the time. IIRC the fan is programmed to come on at 216F or close to it. Opening up the vents on the Hard Rock hood brought temps down quite a bit for me.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Don't know why some run cool and some hot. My fan kicks on every time I drive it, doesn't matter the outside temp. And regular operating temp is 210+ and then hits 220+ and the fan kicks on and drops it down. Pretty continuous cycle unless I am just on level ground cruising at a constant speed. But there is no level ground around here so it might sit at 210 for 5 minutes max then I have to downshift or whatever and temps start to climb. But on the other hand my jk has heat available inside in about 2 minutes. It is great in the winter, I am not even out of sight on my house and my jk is warm inside even down to -20*F. No idea why it would need remote start!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I notice no difference in fan run times between my Jeep and my wife's. Wife's fan rarely runs and hers shows 198 degrees. Mine does not run either and shows 210. Freeway running today OAT 88 degrees with A/C on which turns on my fan and coolant temps drop to constant 204-208 on mine. Hers still shows 195-198 A/C and fan on or off. I believe it probably could be a temp sensor reading inconsistency if in fact the thermostats are opening at the same temps but I find it easier to believe an inconsistant opening of the mechanical thermostats. Wife's was a California build and mine was a Wyoming build. Could there be a different thermostat spec due to Weather? My jeep has a remote start and block heat options. Hers does not.

My jeep was a left over 2015 that was sitting on a dealer lot in Casper Wyoming for 10+ months with only 16 miles on it. We drove it 1400 miles straight to CA at highway speeds upon purchase a few weeks ago. Still on original oil with 2900 miles on the odo. Changing it tomorrow and interested in seeing if there is a temp change. My oil pressure is 4 psi lower than hers but that's expected with a higher temp. We were running the wife's around town and crawling off road within a hundred miles and a couple weeks of her jeeps build. Second oil change with recommended pensoil synthetic and factory filter and 7000 miles on the odo.

If I notice a change, I'll report back.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I run an aftermarket programmer on my 2013. My fan kicks on high when my coolant temp hits 225. The warmest I've seen it was when I was off roading and it got up to 134. It quickly recovered, but it has made me wonder if mine is having an issue. Normal day to day driving has never been an issue.

When it did get a tad warmer the dummy needle was a tad bit over the halfway mark too, but otherwise it's in the normal middle position.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anyone removed all the sound deadening foam on top of the engine, or is that foam there to insulate the plastic intake?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,131 Posts
From 2012 and up, the Radiator cooling fan is set to kick on at 226°. If you have A/C, turn it on. As soon as the A/C Compressors head pressure reaches a certain point, then the fan will kick on. This normally happens way before the 226° normal fan kick on setting.

Also remember, you are seeing these readings through a electronic system, which is relative at best.
The only accurate way to measure engine heat temp is with a Ultra-violet heat gun, pointed at the top radiator tank.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My 2015 JK Rubicon would run about 206 in the heat of summer (95-100F).

My new 2016 JKU Hard Rock is routinely showing 222F in normal driving with only 80F temps.

Not sure what it will show when it gets hot. I did the hood vent mod as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts