Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X. And I parked it in a parking lot a few days ago and I noticed soon thereafter that the red paint is scrapped away in two different areas of the Trail Rated badge (giving it two sizable silver streaks). It appears as if someone took a fingernail and scraped it to see if it was paint. Or the paint just chipped off or flaked off on its own which doesn't look like the case since the rest of the remaining paint looks good and doesn't have any imperfections. I have had other factory painted badges on other Jeeps I have owned in the past and never had this happen before.

Does anyone know what the exact match red paint color is for the 10th Anniversary Rubicon / Rubicon X Trail Rated badge is? Is it flame red? I would like to take a very fine paint brush and touch up the paint so the badge will look new again. I would rather do this then rip the badge off and pay $32 for a new OEM badge and risk scratching the paint finish around the badge area.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

DM

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would take it back to the dealer under warranty, mine was chipping off when I picked my brand new JKURX. I didn't really know it was supposed to be almost solid red. Of course my dealer has had it on order now for 1.5 months and hasn't gotten me one in....They keep saying they are "being used for production vehicles"....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would take it back to the dealer under warranty, mine was chipping off when I picked my brand new JKURX. I didn't really know it was supposed to be almost solid red. Of course my dealer has had it on order now for 1.5 months and hasn't gotten me one in....They keep saying they are "being used for production vehicles"....
phansson,

Thanks for the info, it's possible mine may have just flaked off just like yours did, sounds like it may be a factory defect. That's a good idea having it fixed under warranty. I may just let it go and live with it or if I can find the proper paint touch it up. It looks a little funny but heck every time I always buy a new Jeep something happens, when I purchased a new WK Grand Cherokee a few years ago, two months later someone put a nice deep primer scratch on one of the fenders. I still own that WK, it's in mint condition but the scratch is still there and doesn't bother me anymore.

I believe your dealer is giving you the runaround hoping you will forget or lose interest in having your badge replaced. The part number is 68214753AA for the red trail rated badge for the 10th Anniversary and Rubicon X and there are many sellers that have them on eBay and any Jeep dealership parts department will order it for you and have it in a few days at the latest if you are a walk-in customer paying for it. My advice to you would be to call that dealership parts department give them the part number (don't mention it's for a warranty claim) and ask them how long it will take to get the part in, when they tell you 2-4 days or whatever time it will take. Then go to the service manager (in person) and show him the part number and tell him the parts guy said it would be in whatever amount of days he told you. Then tell the manager, you want him to order the badge and to schedule a time to drop your Wrangler off to have it replaced. If the service manager gives you a song and dance again, tell him you are going to call the Jeep head office in Michigan and file a complaint against him and the dealership. He'll change his tune real quick and you'll be surprised at how fast that dealership installs a new badge for you.

DM

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The red accents on the 10a/X cone to the factory pre-finished; but Flame Red is close in a pinch, just a touch lighter than the tow hooks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts