Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep Friends:

The Jeep dealership balanced the tires (MT/R 33's) on my JKU in late December and ever since I have noticed excessive body roll (well my friends brought it to my attention after driving it). My Jeep has 70K+ mileage so I am figuring that its probably time for shock replacements (just ordered Bilstein 5100's). I'm hoping that will alleviate some of the roll but could the tire pressure from getting them balanced be causing this or is there something else I should check? I believe its currently at max pressure.

I'm usually great at finding the info I need using forum search function or google but I felt like this wasn't different from other threads I have read.

Thanks in advance!

ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
Jeep Friends:

The Jeep dealership balanced the tires (MT/R 33's) on my JKU in late December and ever since I have noticed excessive body roll (well my friends brought it to my attention after driving it). My Jeep has 70K+ mileage so I am figuring that its probably time for shock replacements (just ordered Bilstein 5100's). I'm hoping that will alleviate some of the roll but could the tire pressure from getting them balanced be causing this or is there something else I should check? I believe its currently at max pressure.

I'm usually great at finding the info I need using forum search function or google but I felt like this wasn't different from other threads I have read.

Thanks in advance!
When you say max pressure, what do you mean? What pressure are you running the tires?

When you say body roll my first thought is sway bars. Make sure they're all connected and in good working order. Other than that, I would think the shocks will make a big difference on the way the rig handles!

Good luck getting it fixed!

-Ryan

Premium Member
I know it sounds crazy but check the torque on all Four(4) wheels lugnuts. Tire pressure shouldn't be "at Max" that is the number on the tire. They should be at or around what is on the door jam. yes that number was for the stock tire but its still closer than what is on the sidewall. None of this should be causing body roll, perhaps you are just noticing it now or you had a shock failure (check for leaks) new shocks are always a nice treat anyway.
Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
When you say max pressure, what do you mean? What pressure are you running the tires?

When you say body roll my first thought is sway bars. Make sure they're all connected and in good working order. Other than that, I would think the shocks will make a big difference on the way the rig handles!

Good luck getting it fixed!

-Ryan
Hey Ryan - I'm assuming tire pressure is filled to max pressure since it drove noticeably different after getting the tires balanced (I haven't checked pressure if I am being honest). I was previously riding them slightly aired down.

Just checked the sway bars and all looks well. Maybe its just time for new shocks....

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I know it sounds crazy but check the torque on all Four(4) wheels lugnuts. Tire pressure shouldn't be "at Max" that is the number on the tire. They should be at or around what is on the door jam. yes that number was for the stock tire but its still closer than what is on the sidewall. None of this should be causing body roll, perhaps you are just noticing it now or you had a shock failure (check for leaks) new shocks are always a nice treat anyway.
Good luck.
Yeah, I just checked the PSI number on the tire and it says 50. I doubt its anywhere near that but I know its higher than what I was running previously. I took it to the Jeep dealer because my parents complained of a rough ride and now my friends are complaining of body roll. I drive the jeep so little that I don't notice this stuff until its mentioned and now that I am aware.... the body roll is driving my crazy.

Registered
First thing is to make sure your sway bars are connected. As Ryan said, these bars are dedicated to this function.

Assuming roll was not noticeable with the stock tires start by checking the air pressure. If max pressure is 50 PSI try 35-38 PSI. This will ensure the taller sidewalls will flex less. Did you also change the rims from the stock 18" down to a smaller diameter. This would cause taller sidewalls. The stock sidewalls on the Sahara don't flex much because they are relatively short. Did you install any type of lift? A higher CG will also increase body roll if the Roll Center is not adjusted accordingly.

The Bilsteins are considerably stiffer than the stock Sahara shocks so they will help but they will also affect ride quality so your passengers may complain about that instead. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Treating yourself to a new set of shocks at 70k miles is not extravagant.
You will feel a difference.
Agree sir. Btw, thanks for your service!

First thing is to make sure your sway bars are connected. As Ryan said, these bars are dedicated to this function.

Assuming roll was not noticeable with the stock tires start by checking the air pressure. If max pressure is 50 PSI try 35-38 PSI. This will ensure the taller sidewalls will flex less. Did you also change the rims from the stock 18" down to a smaller diameter. This would cause taller sidewalls. The stock sidewalls on the Sahara don't flex much because they are relatively short. Did you install any type of lift? A higher CG will also increase body roll if the Roll Center is not adjusted accordingly.

The Bilsteins are considerably stiffer than the stock Sahara shocks so they will help but they will also affect ride quality so your passengers may complain about that instead. :)
Hey spin lock - I haven't changed anything mod wise. Still running 33" MT/R's on AEV Savegre rims and I have a Teraflex lift. Correct me if I'm wrong but the pic posted above shows the sway bar disconnect as connected. I'll try and check the tire pressure later this afternoon. Appreciate your input.

Below is a pic of my setup.

Premium Member
Seriously?

People/shops are still inflating tires to the PSI listed on the tire?!?! :pullinghair:

It is listed as "MAX TIRE PRESSURE"

If your Jeep service department inflated your tires to the max pressure listed on the tire I'd let the service manager know or go to a different dealer (may not be feasible/convenient)

Go by what it says on the driver's side front door jam (every vehicle sold in the USA has this info listed somewhere) or if they are aftermarket tires, check the manufacturer's website.

Premium Member
Isolating the variables is the key. You mentioned noticing the body roll after getting the tires balanced so.
- The lugs aren't tight
- They bent something while lifting it to remove the wheels
- A shock has failed
- You are noticing it now because something happened or something got worse.
- At 70K miles (as mentioned) wear and tear replacement parts are not out of the question and shocks certainly top the list.

Premium Member
Seriously?

People/shops are still inflating tires to the PSI listed on the tire?!?! :pullinghair:

If your Jeep service department inflated your tires to the max pressure listed on the tire I'd let the service manager know or go to a different dealer (may not be feasible/convenient)

Go by what it says on the driver's side front door jam (every vehicle sold in the USA has this info listed somewhere) or if they are aftermarket tires, check the manufacturer's website.
I am pleasantly surprised when they DON'T. I'm not surprised too often sadly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Seriously?

This could be just an education issue on my end as far as tire pressure is concerned. I realize that is something I should be checking on a monthly basis but I just got my jeep back since leaving Texas a month ago. Unfortunately I cannot return to that Jeep store as it was in Dallas during Christmas. Hoping that its just shocks....I just remember the the highway felt noticeably rougher and the tires were following the grooves of the road when I left the dealership.

I have an appointment with 4wheelparts to install the shocks on Friday of next week so Ill check the tire pressure sometime today and see if that decreases body roll. Btw, is there anything in particular that people use to air down? When I was on the trails last summer I recall having some sort of top on the valve stem that automatically did it.

Premium Member
Btw, is there anything in particular that people use to air down? When I was on the trails last summer I recall having some sort of top on the valve stem that automatically did it.
After reading this comparison I went with this:

ARB Deflator (the Currie Deflator is the same product just different branding)

I can deflate all four of my tires to 10-12psi faster than the guys using the nearly twice as expensive Staun deflators (granted I have to go to each tire and manually deflate the tires whereas the Staun's are automatic once installed onto the valve stems).

But I can stop at any pressure, higher or lower depending on the situation.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
After reading this comparison I went with this:

ARB Deflator (the Currie Deflator is the same product just different branding)

I can deflate all four of my tires to 10-12psi faster than the guys using the nearly twice as expensive Staun deflators (granted I have to go to each tire and manually deflate the tires whereas the Staun's are automatic once installed onto the valve stems).

But I can stop at any pressure, higher or lower depending on the situation.
Thanks. Gonna order from Extreme Terrain since Ryan chimed in on my thread. Thanks again!

ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
Thanks. Gonna order from Extreme Terrain since Ryan chimed in on my thread. Thanks again!
Thanks, Neos! Shoot me a PM if you'd like a deal on the deflator! That is a great set up and will allow you air down quickly and accurately when you hit the trails.

-Ryan

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Update

I dropped the Jeep off to get the new shocks put in at 4wheelparts. There is definitely a difference (more rough) but I haven't driven enough to notice if there is now less body roll (It almost feels the same). I checked my tire pressure before leaving and the PSI was 40 for all tires.

My questions:
1. Is the general consensus to air down to 35 psi as previously mentioned? I've read something similar....airing down to that level will help reduce body roll. I think that is just about the last thing I can try adjusting.

2. Also, does it matter if I have the "shock boots" on and should they be positioned at the top? For some reason, I was expecting the shock boots to be located at the top of the rear shocks (like the front shocks are) but they are attached at the bottom of the shock.

Appreciate all the input. For awhile there I was seriously thinking of selling the Jeep because the handling was bothering me. I think it will get better from here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
My Bilstiens have the boot on the bottom in the back. Just the way they mount. I run my 35's at 30psi.
Thanks for confirming that. I'm gonna lower the pressure shortly and see if that adds any benefit. I drove it around a few blocks and noticed the body roll had diminished a lot....so the new shocks seem to be working.

Check the rear track bar bracket for any cracks. Happened to me and i put a new bracket on ($50) and it went away.
I think everything is good and feel like 4wheelparts would've noticed something. Gonna check anyway to make sure. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts