Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Excessive oil use!!

37002 89
My 07 has always used what I think is too much oil in between changes. This has been happening since it was brand new. The oil has always been changed at 3k miles. No leaks are visible and never noticed any being burn't. I usually have to add 2 quarts in between changes. I read on another forum that the oil could just be breaking down. Thats a first for me!! The jeep has less than 40k on her now. Any suggestions would be helpful.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

· Premium Member
4,947 Posts
That being the obvious. Just wandered if anybody else has had this problem.
I have been experiencing what I would call excessive oil usage. I brought it to the attention of the dealer at the last PM 24Kmiles. It has been using approximately a quart every 3K miles on a 6K mile oil change interval (maintaining the warranty). He gave me a page from the Chrysler website that said that up to 1 quart every 1K miles is normal oil consumption. I promptly stapled that to my receipt for the oil change and at this point may have the oil analyzed to see if there is any problem with the engine which is causing this type of consumption. If that comes back with any problems, I go back to the dealer demanding the engine be serviced (or replaced). If the oil is normal, I'm going to continue adding a quart every 3K miles. I did notice on my receipt for this oil change that they put 5W30 in instead of 5W20. Not sure why they did that but they are the ones maintaining my warranty as agent for Chrysler.

· Retired Moderator
6,906 Posts
Obvious or not, you should have asked if anyone was experiencing the problem rather than just stating your issue and and asking for suggestions. I wasn't playing the part of Captain Obvious, I was legitimately trying to help! Don't worry... Won't happen again.

Good luck, and take that thing back to Jeep! My guess is the rings never seated properly.

· Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Obvious or not, you should have asked if anyone was experiencing the problem rather than just stating your issue and and asking for suggestions. I wasn't playing the part of Captain Obvious, I was legitimately trying to help! Don't worry... Won't happen again.

Good luck, and take that thing back to Jeep! My guess is the rings never seated properly.
I took mine back and think I got the run-around. If analyzing the oil points out what you said that the rings never seated, they will hopefully correct it by whatever means necessary. Thanks ccain.

jk'n

· Premium Member
4,947 Posts
J'KN Let me know if you have your oil analyzed and the results. Thanks
Will do, now, if someone could tell me how I go about initializing an oil analyzing test. Is this some thing purchased at an auto-parts store as a kit or done by a local service station?

· Registered
494 Posts
Wow, shame on me. :bottom: I had gotten out of the habit of checking oil. My 99 t&c (3.8 engine) and my Chevy p.u. have never needed oil between changes. Jeep gets oil change ~3K and after the first few months (and no oil usage) I have gotten lazy. Got to start keeping a better eye on it, I reckon.

Bob:wavey:

· Registered
8,957 Posts
Will do, now, if someone could tell me how I go about initializing an oil analyzing test. Is this some thing purchased at an auto-parts store as a kit or done by a local service station?
Call These guys and order a kit; they'll tell you what to do. They don't use our lc/mass-specs but I've spoken with the owner of the company and they follow good protocols.
You'll be looking for excessive blow-by contaminants, antifreeze, etc.
You might also want to check for oil in your antifreeze as well.

I've heard of a couple of JKs having this problem; none of them exhibit the classic signs of poor ring alignment or valve guide wear. I'm thinking that it's an internal gasket.

· Registered
85 Posts
Mine has the same issue , it now has 50000 miles on it . Its an 07 also . The onlything is behind the main engine pulley there is always a dry oil reisdue , I have taking a mechanics mirror cleaned oil etc , but never seen any signs of a leak , but I read somewheres the 07 oil pan if i remeber correctl metal is porus and it actuallys is cooming thru the metal ? dont know

· Registered
8,957 Posts
I have just turned 6K, 2 oil changes and I haven't noticed an issue. Although, My book say's to use 6 qts and the dealer is telling me 5 qts.
Errrr, find a new dealer...

· Registered
475 Posts
oil use

this oil use is a problem with 3.8 engines and has been for years. my father drove t&c minivans for about 15 years with same problem. His last one, dealer added dye to oil, no sign of leak. All other routine checks found nothing. Chrysler covers themselves by allowing a high oil usage as "normal". His dealer in fl. also changed to heavier wt. oil. Slowed it down some for awhile but not for long. why some 3.8 engines do this and some don't is anyones guess. Logic seems to dictate since many engines hold there oil just fine, it can,t be normal.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.