Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looks good Exco! Did you happen to take any photos of the lights/harness of the foot well lights (the blue ones)? Is there any way of swapping out the stock ones without cutting and splicing?
Thanks!

No, I haven't had a chance to take pics of the footwell lights, but they're pretty self explanatory once you stick your head up under the dash.

I don't see how it would be possible to just do a straight swap, as the wires are pretty short, and it's one of those square looks like it should be an LED style of light........ hope that makes sense.

I will try to remember to get some pics of the set up that I have now. I've already pitched the old lights that were up under there...

Exco

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ok cool, if you don't have pics no biggie. In the meantime I'll dig around in there and take a peek.

I didn't even realize there were 2 two different sets of lights till that thread you started on changing them. The ones that come on with the headlights are very dim, I can barely see them but the brighter blue would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Time for an update.

I received my Wrangler Hard Rock stickers the other day. I picked them up on Amazon form Unique Graphics, they were a little pricey at $20.49 delivered. I'm pleased with the outcome though.

I also received and installed my Moore Dead Pedal. Very easy install, it took me less than 15 minutes, which included pulling it back out to adjust it to accommodate my short legs. My wife picked it up on Amazon for me for my birthday and it was around $35

My bumper hoop (I got the MOPAR P/N 77072349 from Morris4X4) should be arriving today, and if the weather cooperates I'll be installing that as well. I also have a set of light mounting brackets (MOPAR P/N 82213162 from allmoparparts.com) to go with it. Once I can measure to find out what size lights will fit, I'll be added a set of flood lights to the bumper

Exco

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looking awesome, great color choice!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This isn't minor.... Homemade Spod! Sweet! Welcome to the club! Been there done that... Nicely done!!!! :punk:

-Jase

Thanks. I've always enjoyed tinkering with wires, so it was one of those projects that didn't feel like work.

Exco

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have tied everything together under the hood using two terminal blocks, one fused, the the just a convenient way to connect everything together. (pics on that below). I'm using very low power switches, so everything will be controlled through relays, and the switches that I used are listed as anti-vandal LED switches. I have 4 on my A pillar, one for DRL, one for reverse lights, and two for future A pillar and bumper lights.

Terminal blocks and relays

I tried to run as much of the wiring as possible inside wire loom, just to make a cleaner look

Interested in your power distribution system. What is your mounting surface there? And where did you get your components from?

·
Registered
139 Posts
And thank you for posting the link to those switches. I saw someone else with those and never figured out where they got them!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Thanks. I've always enjoyed tinkering with wires, so it was one of those projects that didn't feel like work.

Exco
Fabrication is a lost art. My engineering students and I designed mine. Extremely fun project! I think before it was all over I had $230 into the project. MUCH better than spending $450.

Can't wait to see what you do next!
-Jase

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Interested in your power distribution system. What is your mounting surface there? And where did you get your components from?
My mounting surface is a cheap cutting board that I picked up at Dollar General, I think it was about $2. I have an L bracket underneath that I picked up at a hardware store pretty cheap as well. I just wiggled it around until it was able to sit flush after cutting the board to length. Some self tapping screws into the plastic underneath and a 1/4-20 nut and bolt to hold everything together.

I got pretty much everything else at either my local auto parts store or Amazon. The distribution block & fuse block I got at Amazon, the wire is just basic 16 gauge that I picked up in a few different colors at the auto parts store, the relays I also got at Amazon, at least the two that didn't come with my A pillar lights. The power for the fuse block is just an in line fuse that I picked up at AutoZone.

Exco

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And thank you for posting the link to those switches. I saw someone else with those and never figured out where they got them!
My pleasure, one of the great thing about these forums is the ability to share sources and knowledge. I've ended up spending a lot of money based on what others have done :D

Fabrication is a lost art. My engineering students and I designed mine. Extremely fun project! I think before it was all over I had $230 into the project. MUCH better than spending $450.

Can't wait to see what you do next!
-Jase
I was too cheap to buy an Spod, besides I didn't really like the set up. I've always preferred to go my own way when it comes to stuff like this.

As far as what's next. I installed my MOPAR hoop (P/N 77072349) and light brackets (MOPAR p/n 82213162) today, despite the weather (we've gotten over 10 inches of rain in two days).

Exco

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I added some cheap 5-6 inch lights that I found in my shed this morning. They're not actually hooked up to anything, as they're only there to add to the visual effect. I'll be adding some 4 inch round ones (probably from Quadratec) in the near future.

I think the size of these are just a tad too large, but they'll work on a temp basis. I didn't really like the look of the hoop and light brackets just sitting on the bumper without any lights on 'em. These lights didn't cost me anything, so they will work for now.

Exco

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I got in my Quadratec 4 inch round LEDs yesterday, and I got 'em installed this morning. I'm pretty happy with the results, though I did get a little frustrated when I dropped a 10mm wrench behind my headlight while trying to tie in the ground, then dropped a mounting screw for the headlight which of course landed on my skid plate and rolled underneath the bracket. A magnet got the screw out, and all ended well.

I chose to order the single lights, rather than the set that included the wiring harness, as I didn't believe that I needed the harness. I figured on a cleaner install without a lot of extra wires without the harness. If you're not real strong on wiring, then the harness is the way to go, as it makes everything pretty simple.

This also completes my wiring project on the Jeep, at least for now or until I discover something else that I may want to add.

Exco

·
Registered
69 Posts
Very cool - love the lights! I may go with some similar round pillar lights now. :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Very cool - love the lights! I may go with some similar round pillar lights now. :)

Thanks. I was shooting for the old school look with the modern twist

Exco

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks. I was shooting for the old school look with the modern twist

Exco
LOVE the old school look...well done! I'm writing down part #'s and will be looking to replicate some of what you did as I'm trying to stay true to that old school look as well.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
LOVE the old school look...well done! I'm writing down part #'s and will be looking to replicate some of what you did as I'm trying to stay true to that old school look as well.

One of the great things about the forums is that we're able to share ideas and entice others into doing stuff to their Jeep that they never realized that they needed to do LOL

Exco

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have tied everything together under the hood using two terminal blocks, one fused, the the just a convenient way to connect everything together. (pics on that below). I'm using very low power switches, so everything will be controlled through relays, and the switches that I used are listed as anti-vandal LED switches. I have 4 on my A pillar, one for DRL, one for reverse lights, and two for future A pillar and bumper lights.

Exco

Did you have any issues with the depth of the switches on the stock panel? What size are the switches that you used?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Did you have any issues with the depth of the switches on the stock panel? What size are the switches that you used?
No, I didn't have any issue with the depth. There is surprisingly lots of room behind the plastic panel. I took the panel out when I did the drilling, and while it was out I also installed the switches and ran the wires down to the bottom where they could easily be tucked behind the dash.

I used the smaller (16mm) of the two available sizes. Don't bother with buying their drill bit, as it's not tapered, and it won't even fit in a 1/2" chuck drill. I ended up using a couple of step bits instead (which ended up being easier and cheaper).

Just to note, if you go this route, you'll most likely need a relay for each, as they switches themselves are only rated at 3A @ 12V

Exco

21 - 40 of 66 Posts