Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks, I did see in the specs the 3A rating. At the moment I'm putting in front locker, rear locker and CB switches, possibly putting in a rear cam that I'll operate on a switch also.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks, I did see in the specs the 3A rating. At the moment I'm putting in front locker, rear locker and CB switches, possibly putting in a rear cam that I'll operate on a switch also.
I think these switches will work fine for what you're trying to do. You may even be able to get away without using a relay on some of them, just be sure to check to see what the current draw is on each.

Exco

·
Registered
474 Posts
This isn't minor.... Homemade Spod! Sweet! Welcome to the club! Been there done that... Nicely done!!!! :punk:

-Jase
So glad to hear this isn't minor. I'm a total newb and am reading this build thread feeling like :jawdrop:

Really nice work, Exco. Inspiring and you must have the patience of a saint!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Really nice work, Exco. Inspiring and you must have the patience of a saint!
Thanks.

Nope, in fact I have very little patience. I just enjoy the challenge of creating something myself that lies within my limited skill set, and I also like to play with wires and lighting.

Exco

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for directing me to this. I'm using the Rugged Ridge pillar switch pod. Sticks out a little more to give you room behind for the wires. I like the distribution panel under the hood. Gonna try and straighten mine up with the new Jeep. I think I'll post a build thread also. Thanks for the info and insight. It will help a lot.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for directing me to this. I'm using the Rugged Ridge pillar switch pod. Sticks out a little more to give you room behind for the wires. I like the distribution panel under the hood. Gonna try and straighten mine up with the new Jeep. I think I'll post a build thread also. Thanks for the info and insight. It will help a lot.

I'm glad that I could help. A word to the wise on the Rugged Ridge pillar pd... test fit it BEFORE you cut out the switches. When I tried one on mine it didn't fit, and I didn't check the fit before cutting.

The bottom edge of the pillar pod was the wrong shape to match up to the dash

good luck

Exco

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've got a RR pillar pod for my 2016. When I swap it out for my 2017, I'm gonna put the original back in and take it with me to the 2017. Mine is tight, it fits, but it's a tight fit.

Just trying to rig up my wiring a little better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Missing 12V power

Concerning the picture of the fuse terminal block under the hood. I understand how the fused terminal block works and the other 5 (or 6) block connector is simple enough (looks like just a connector block).

What I'm wondering about, is I only see wires hooking up on one side of that connector block. Looks like green, yellow, blue, and maybe white. I'm guessing these are going to the equipment you're hooking up. But, I don't see any leads going back to 12V power.

Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Concerning the picture of the fuse terminal block under the hood. I understand how the fused terminal block works and the other 5 (or 6) block connector is simple enough (looks like just a connector block).

What I'm wondering about, is I only see wires hooking up on one side of that connector block. Looks like green, yellow, blue, and maybe white. I'm guessing these are going to the equipment you're hooking up. But, I don't see any leads going back to 12V power.

Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Brian
I am assuming that you're referring to this pic...

The red wire at the bottom of the pic is where I'm getting my 12V power from. The wire runs directly to the battery, with an in line fuse at the battery. What you're seeing is a 6 circuit fuse block that allows me to run power to wherever I need it, in my case usually directly to relays due to the small current ratings of my switches.

The terminal block that you see above it and to the right is just an easy way of connecting my "switch legs". One wire going to the switch, the other going to a specific light. If you look closely in the pic you can see that there are actually two white and two yellow wires. These in turn correspond to my reverse lights and day time running light switches.

I will try to get a more up to date pic of the set up that I'm using, as I'm since added two more circuits with relays. I will also see if I can dig up my half assed wiring diagram that I made awhile back while I was brain storming this idea.

Exco

·
Registered
207 Posts
I guess what I'm looking at is that you're only using one side of the connectors. It looks like you are connecting them on the front side (Jeep side). The rear portion (cab side) is not being used.

That's what I was wondering. Are you just using one side of the connector block to connect the wires?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I guess what I'm looking at is that you're only using one side of the connectors. It looks like you are connecting them on the front side (Jeep side). The rear portion (cab side) is not being used.

That's what I was wondering. Are you just using one side of the connector block to connect the wires?
You are correct. I found that it's a little bit cleaner of a look by only using the "inside" of the terminal block. I had initially hooked them up to the outside, but I didn't like the way it looked, the wires looked like they were just sort of strung everywhere.

This way I can have a single wire run with a cleaner look.

What I probably should have done is cut the "platform" a little bit longer so that I had more room for a wire run. I have actually contemplated rerunning the wires, and adding some sort of wire "raceway". Things are a little tight with 4 relays, the terminal blocks, and all of the wiring.

I forgot to get new pics yesterday, but will get to them soon (if I don't forget)

Hope that this helps

Exco

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

I finally got around to taking a pic now that everything is working. After doing so, I realized that I need to go back in and clean a few things up.

I also drew up this down and dirty wiring diagram of what I did as well. Perhaps things will be a little clearer, unless my drawing skills are just that bad LOL.

I tied all of my grounds (85 terminal on the relay) into the same block on the unfused block and then to a good chasis ground, and I used four other slots to easily tie into my "switch leg". I am going directly off of the fuse block to the switch on one side, then I come back to the unfused block on the other leg. I ran two wires off of each switch leg from the terminal block, tying into the 86 terminal on the relay. Two of my triggers (terminal 30 on the relay) are coming directly off of the fuse block, as they're just spot and flood lights, and I figured they didn't need anything specific except power to make 'em come on. My Day Time Running Lights are triggered from a wire off the fuse block that corresponds to a keyed circuit (forget which fuse I used, but did it with an ATM fuse tap). I have some flush mount LEDs in my rear bumper, and a 3" flood light from Inspired Engineering hanging off my rear bumper that are triggered (Terminal 30) from my reverse light circuit (didn't want to be able to turn them on without the Jeep in reverse).
Terminal 87 on the relay goes out to whichever lights are being run off that particular relay.

I tried to color code all my wires to correspond to the switches, as I have a red, white, blue, and green switch. Red switch has yellow wires, the others match up.

At the bottom of the fuse block is a 10 gauge (red) wire going directly to the battery with an in line 30A fuse.

Hope that this clears things up a little for you, rather than making them more confusing.

Exco

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm so jealous of you people that can do electrical stuff. I have never been able to do it well and it scares me to try with this vehicle. The extent of my wiring capabilities was putting HID's on my truck back in the day. I eventually want to add some bumper lights and maybe some A pillar lights. I dig the round LED look too on the bumper lights.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I'm so jealous of you people that can do electrical stuff. I have never been able to do it well and it scares me to try with this vehicle. The extent of my wiring capabilities was putting HID's on my truck back in the day. I eventually want to add some bumper lights and maybe some A pillar lights. I dig the round LED look too on the bumper lights.
I understand where you're coming from, but it's not really as scary as most people think that it is, especially with the almost idiot proof wiring harness that are available today.

You Tube, these forums, other forums, and friends, neighbors, and co-workers can all be valuable sources of information and help. Don't be afraid to tap into all sources at your disposal. You can do it.

Exco

·
Registered
278 Posts
Now that it's gotten dark, I was able to get some pics of the blue foot well lights

Exco

Would like more info on how you have the white footwell lights when doors open and blue when headlights are on. I love this! Can you provide how and lights used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Would like more info on how you have the white footwell lights when doors open and blue when headlights are on. I love this! Can you provide how and lights used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finding the lights isn't too difficult, you just need to contort yourself enough to squeeze up under the dash. On each side there are two light "pods". One of them comes on with the dome light/ door opening the other comes on with the headlights. I don't remember which is which, so you'll have to look around a bit. They're both pretty obvious once you've contorted yourself enough to actually see up under the dash.

What I did was just cut the wires for each of these pods, and using simple butt connectors tied them into some LEDs that I picked up at Oznium.

If I recall correctly the driver's side was a bit of a PITA, as I couldn't get the pods out, so I had to do all of my wiring while upside down and underneath the dash. The passenger side was a little easier as the pods were pretty easy to unclip, and I could do all of my wiring on a table where I had room to work.

In post #17 there are links to what I purchased and where I got them. I think it also describes a little better what I did. If you still are having issues, feel free to PM me, and I will see if I can walk you through it.

Exco

41 - 60 of 66 Posts