Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust broke loose while going through some severe death wobble back in May and I've been running without one since getting it back on the road. I'm about to install a Magnaflow Turbo exhaust I bought from AutoZone. Trying to decide on which hangers to use. Can't figure out which ones I should go with

https://www.amazon.com/Evilenergy-J...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Saddle-U-Bol...id=1574553777&sprefix=2.5+inch+exhaust&sr=8-5

Autozone and all other places only carry the u bolt. Will it be ok. I heard it's more permanent.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have tried the Evilenergy style clamp before and it leaked worse than what I was replacing so I returned it. The u bolt clamp works better than the sleeve style. Try to buy the smallest sized clamp you can fit over the pipe and modify the radius of the center section to match.
IMG_20191124.jpg

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
And I'm the opposite. I just installed a new Cat Back exhaust and used evilenergy style clamps and those work great. If I'm not mistaken, the factory clamps are the same evilenergy style.

Reactions: Jerry2117

·
Registered
429 Posts
And I'm the opposite. I just installed a new Cat Back exhaust and used evilenergy style clamps and those work great. If I'm not mistaken, the factory clamps are the same evilenergy style.
I have seen those style used on factory exhausts too. I agree that they work good. The problem with the one I had that is similar to the evilenergy is that it was not a factory quality clamp. The band was thinner so I couldn't clamp as tightly, the radius of the center piece didn't match the radius of the pipe so it only touched in the center of that section, and I didn't have tight fitting pipes. I was using a flexable pipe which was a little bigger and it needed to be compressed evenly all the way around.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I have seen those style used on factory exhausts too. I agree that they work good. The problem with the one I had that is similar to the evilenergy is that it was not a factory quality clamp. The band was thinner so I couldn't clamp as tightly, the radius of the center piece didn't match the radius of the pipe so it only touched in the center of that section, and I didn't have tight fitting pipes. I was using a flexable pipe which was a little bigger and it needed to be compressed evenly all the way around.
In your case, the band style clamp wouldn't be the best choice due to the amount of clamping force needed to compress the oversized pipe. It also sounds like you may have had a Chinese knock off clamp. I don't think it would have made a difference in your case though.

It's like using the right tool for the job. The wrong tool makes the job fail at worst or take longer at best.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used the ones from autozone and they worked awesome. Ended up using a exhaust tip on the outlet in the back. Have it dumping just over the rear axle. Took about 25 minutes start to finish to complete and sounds amazing. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My exhaust broke loose while going through some severe death wobble back in May and I've been running without one since getting it back on the road. I'm about to install a Magnaflow Turbo exhaust I bought from AutoZone. Trying to decide on which hangers to use. Can't figure out which ones I should go with

https://www.amazon.com/Evilenergy-J...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Saddle-U-Bol...id=1574553777&sprefix=2.5+inch+exhaust&sr=8-5

Autozone and all other places only carry the u bolt. Will it be ok. I heard it's more permanent.
Those aren't hangers, they are clamps. And they aren't even for the same type of joint. You can't choose which one to use, the type of joint will dictate that.

U-clamps are for an ID/OD fit where the one pipe slides into the other. The Evilenergy is intended for a butt joint, where two pipes of the same diameter are butted up against each other. It is not intended to compress either of the pipes it goes over.

The U-clamps aren't really servicable as they distort both pipes when tightened down. We used to heat the pipes to red hot to get them apart after using those.

There is another style clamp that IS servicable, but it requires the outer pipe to have a very specific type of slot cut into it, so that's not much help.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Those aren't hangers, they are clamps. And they aren't even for the same type of joint. You can't choose which one to use, the type of joint will dictate that.

U-clamps are for an ID/OD fit where the one pipe slides into the other. The Evilenergy is intended for a butt joint, where two pipes of the same diameter are butted up against each other. It is not intended to compress either of the pipes it goes over.

The U-clamps aren't really servicable as they distort both pipes when tightened down. We used to heat the pipes to red hot to get them apart after using those.

There is another style clamp that IS servicable, but it requires the outer pipe to have a very specific type of slot cut into it, so that's not much help.
I got it done with the clamps from AutoZone. It worked out great, about 25 minute install start to finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts