Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bone-stock 2005 Rubicon for a test trail ride last week and saw some scratches on the front U-joint. I thought I hit a rock. Yesterday I saw the real reason for the scratches: The front U joint hit the exhaust crosspipe. Everything is stock so why did this hit?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I took my bone-stock 2005 Rubicon for a test trail ride last week and saw some scratches on the front U-joint. I thought I hit a rock. Yesterday I saw the real reason for the scratches: The front U joint hit the exhaust crosspipe. Everything is stock so why did this hit?
Gabe - That is not normal and I see in your photo that your suspension is not fully stock. The poly bump stop extension inside your front spring, indicates that some modification has been done. If the track bar is adjustable, and is too long, or if an additional hole has been drilled in the axle side track bar mounting bracket, it could push your front axle slightly over to the passenger side. There's not much clearance for the driveshaft, so even a small amount of offset to the passenger side could cause this contact.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
How loud is your Jeep? I am wondering if the exhaust is loose and swinging at the manifold.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but something doesnt look right....

LOOKS like the exhaust goes forward, over in front of the oil pan sump, makes a 180, and doubles around and back....

If I'm seeing that right then exhaust work is in your future

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but something doesnt look right....

LOOKS like the exhaust goes forward, over in front of the oil pan sump, makes a 180, and doubles around and back....

If I'm seeing that right then exhaust work is in your future
Looks like the typical late TJ exhaust with mini cats to me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
That picture doesnt make sense. The U Joint would hit the lower pipe not the upper one so something else is making contact with that. The easiest way to figure out what is going on is to put the front end in the air using jack stands under each side of the frame. Then remove the coil springs and shocks and use a floor jack to raise, lower and twist the front end seeing whats making contact.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yeah ok.... i was having a brain fart moment....
Two down pipes.... y pipe in front of oil pan... cross over to pass side and back..... I hate it when my brain locks up due to limited ram and a slow processor

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I just looked under mine and can confirm that spot matches where the front pinion would wipe across the exhaust.

Look for an off-center axle resulting from a lift with a short track bar and/or a loose swinging exhaust. Hopefully the engine is still sitting where it ought to be...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The engine mounts are tight, the exhaust is tight, the panhard bar is tight and looks like OEM. Yes, the bump stops are yellow urethane, so they are not stock. Maybe the bump stops let the front diff go up too high. There is another item that is not OEM. The engine mount brackets bolted to the block are yellow painted Brown Dog Offroad brackets.
S2883-PHW, Pair 4.0L Header Super Engine Bracket for TJ and LJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts