Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Understand that water is a product of combustion and that exhaust will normally drip some amount of water. Having said that, I know that a lot of water dripping can be an indicator of something wrong (e.g gasket). My JK drips like a sailor just back from shore leave. The photo below shows the water produced after a short (maybe 1/2 mile trip). Is this within normal?

image-3692961266.jpg

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Even if you were consuming coolant it is unlikely you'd see any liquid. The water is a byproduct of the catalyst and there is no "too much" but repeated short trips will make it drip more. If you keep an eye out you'll occasionally see a vehicle merge onto the highway and just dump water out the tailpipes. That's someone who does tons of short trips and rarely gets on the throttle.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
That's actually normal for a tight exhaust system.The water comes out of the muffler weep hole and tail pipe.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Whenever I have seen a vehicle on the road dumping a bunch of water/steam out of the tailpipe I've always assumed that it is just condensed water in the exhaust system getting expelled shortly after the engine was started. I wonder if you just do a bunch of short trips that the exhaust system never gets a chance to heat up enough to get rid of all the condensed water. Also, how humid is it where you live?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Have to mirror a lot of the above posters. A lot of short trips will produce a lot of condensation and not have a chance to drip it out or burn it off. Just another reason to take the long way home sometimes and let her run.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you let your Jeep warm up a little longer before driving it or take it on longer trips more frequently, you will probably see a bit less water on the ground.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks y'all; this is reassuring. I probably just need to get on some 45°+ slopes a little more often to get things all flushed out : )

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Thanks y'all; this is reassuring. I probably just need to get on some 45°+ slopes a little more often to get things all flushed out : )
No, just drive it for at least 20 minutes to get the exhaust hot enough to burn off any condensation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts