Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently had my AFE exhaust system installed, and today I noticed a water spot after I had parked in the driveway. I got under the jeep and there is water dripping on the section of pipe that runs right under the driver seat. It's dripping from an area where there is a clamp. I smelled it and it has no scent or color, so it's water. Is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Not really. Its just humidity condensing in the exhaust. The hot metal draws it in when you shut the jeep off. Mine has water stains around the clamps as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay cool. It just worried me because I had the exhaust installed on Saturday and didn't notice this dripping until today, and I don't remember the factory exhaust ever doing it either. Thanks for easing my worry ha

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
No exhaust is 100% sealed but most times you don't get a leak that far forward. What I've done in the past when there was a joint leak at the clamp is to reposition and re-tighten the clamp. If that didn't work I used an exhaust sealer around the joint and that took care of it. I didn't want to possibly have an exhaust leak/smell that far forward. If the leak is minor you might not smell anything. If an exhaust system is tight, which it really should be, the only condensation leak you'll get is from the muffler weep hole and the end of the tailpipe. If a shop did the install they most likely won't mind attempting to tighten it up for you. That will happen on an install and it's usually an easy fix, especially when they have it up on a lift. Probably will take them 5 min.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it doesn't go away after a while of driving, I'm going to call the muffler shop and have them check it out. They spot welded a few of the connections, but it is not where it is dripping

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The clamps that come with the AFE is not very high quality. After the pipe has heated up a couple of times they need to be re-tightened. The water is condensation which is normal. The leaking however means that your exhaust is also able to escape, since the molecules in the exhaust are smaller than the water molecules. But do not hold it against the muffler shop that did the install, I chased after this on my AFE for a month. Finally tight enough to where water doesn't leak. But I broke both supplied clamps from AFE. If you go back to the muffler shop, you might save them some grief by indicating it is a common problem and to replace the clamps with whatever they use.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Idk why you guys are so worried about it. Water is subject to gravity far greater than exhaust fumes which travel upward bc of their heat. Its just seeking the closest open spot to the ground. Rather have it weep a little then collect and rust stuff out... The small bit of exhaust leaking through it is probably un undetectable to all but the finest lab equipment...

·
Registered
836 Posts
possible the blinker fluid might be running/dripping down the exhaust the fluid will not burn it can with stand alot of heat this is most likely the case check the blinker fluid for leaks

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Found mine leaking in the exact same location, stock exhaust. Like another posted having it that for forward concerns me as well as far as a leak. I'll take a look at repositioning it. Always told exhaust leaks are no bueno.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I agree on said blinker fluid leak. Or could my a by product of your Hydrogen 3.6L and the plutonium degrading process. Just a thought, but worth checking out. In CA, if your exhaust leaks water, San Francisco will take it and tax you and give it to a small non-native fish. Just say'in.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called the muffler shop and they said its normal because clamps will never cause a great seal without a solid weld like a factory system. He said eventually the clamp will rust a bit and cause a better seal and kind of fix itself and isn't a huge issue unless you can hear or tell exhaust is leaking out too. Is this accurate? I'm still going to attempt to tighten that clamp a bit more though

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Exhaust systems should not leak before the muffler.

If you knew anything about blinker fluid, you know it stored in 2 locations for redundancy. These leaks are nowhere near the storage units. I switched to synthetic after the proper break in. And my blinker fluid is similar in color to oat and moat combined 70/30. So needless to say the exhaust leak doesn't look like that. I did however pay to have my muffler bearings checked, since they might rust with this water...

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I called the muffler shop and they said its normal because clamps will never cause a great seal without a solid weld like a factory system. He said eventually the clamp will rust a bit and cause a better seal and kind of fix itself and isn't a huge issue unless you can hear or tell exhaust is leaking out too. Is this accurate? I'm still going to attempt to tighten that clamp a bit more though
Seems like the shop is being a bit lazy. If the AFE clamps are known to be low quality maybe you should consider replacing the clamp if tightining doesn't help or just get an exhaust sealer and work it in around the pipe and that will take care of it. As far as the clamp/rust explanation from the shop, again, they're being lazy and blowing you off. It's going to continue to leak and may get worse. I've used sealer in the past and it works. They're correct regarding it not having a great seal because it's clamped. Anytime there's a clamped exhaust fitting it can leak, but it can be fixed. It's up to you.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seems like the shop is being a bit lazy. If the AFE clamps are known to be low quality maybe you should consider replacing the clamp if tightining doesn't help or just get an exhaust sealer and work it in around the pipe and that will take care of it. As far as the clamp/rust explanation from the shop, again, they're being lazy and blowing you off. It's going to continue to leak and may get worse. I've used sealer in the past and it works. They're correct regarding it not having a great seal because it's clamped. Anytime there's a clamped exhaust fitting it can leak, but it can be fixed. It's up to you.
Yeah, I feel like they're being lazy as well. They spot welded two of the four connections where the clamps are and then the other two they didn't. I'm going to try to tighten it up and probably go with some exhaust sealer. In my opinion, the shop should've offered to take a look at it and fix it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts