Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Put your lips together and make the motorboat sound like you did when you were a little kid, then hold an empty paper towel tube up to your mouth, THERE YOU GO! Same sound when you try and make a 4cyl sound like something its not.

Besides the fact that the 4cyl motor was designed to run with the backpressure from a stock or atleast basically stock exhaust system. Dont go for sound with a 4cyl, go for performance, or what little performance that you can get out of it.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Yep, that will give you the motor boat sound, but it will lack in the backpressure department. Borla makes a decent muffler for a 4cyl, it looks like the stock muffler, but gives a decent low tone. Banks has the same thing basically, but with those higher end companies, you will pay much more than the cost of a cherry bomb.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Anything but a stock exhaust sounds like total crap. Ever hear an import with a small 4 cylinder zooming by (because you have a 2.5L, it's not going anywhere fast)? Magnify that horrific sound by 1000 and you have your sound.

Spend $40 on a stock equivalent muffler and forget about it. Anything else and you're going to lose power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anything but a stock exhaust sounds like total crap. Ever hear an import with a small 4 cylinder zooming by (because you have a 2.5L, it's not going anywhere fast)?
That's funny, almost everyday I hear some honda Civic with a fart pipe and try to pick it out going fast in a herd of cars is almost impossible! It makes the sound but that's about it.

I went totally stock on my 2.5 and I actually like the sound. So much nicer than listening to my diesel truck all day. Almost relaxing....

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I'm an old redneck P/U driver who loves the deep throaty V8s but I did a stock exhaust on mine and it ssounds great because with my bad hearing I don't hear it just the stereo I put in. Love the hard rock.

·
Registered
445 Posts
4get deez h8rz. U need da big snd 4 sure. Go 2 autoparts store 2 find biggest can 4 $. JB weld with neon tiznip. Hoes and b1tches will be drppn day pants 4 u.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a 40 series flowmaster on my jeep when i bought it, and it sounded terrible and currently I am running the dynomax muffler and pipe and I absolutely love it, its similar to a magnaflow i believe.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you want a deep, low sound then you want a flowmaster 50 series. It won't make you sound like a v8, but it is deeper sounding and has the back pressure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used the Borla catback on my '89 2.5l and it sounded NOTHING like a honda , It actually sonded pretty good . Had a deep sound and throaty . Of coarse not like a V8 , just half of one . I was pleased ...btw I added the borla header too , it helps .

1 - 20 of 97 Posts