Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of replacing a cracked exhaust manifold... I have the intake manifold out and I'm about to pull out the exhaust manifold. Do autozone or orielys sell good exhaust gaskets? That's my only option at the moment. And what do I have to coat the gasket in before I install it? Also, What should i use to clean the engine where the gasket goes? Been reading around but I want to know what is the best way. Thanks for any advice

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Check the brand name when they bring it to the counter I have done OK with both places. No sealant required the gasket should be a crush type. Meaning as you put torque on the bolts it squeezes the material and there is enough to form the required seal.. You will see a piece of shiny thick gasket.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Refer to what ever manual you have the torque pattern is the key to success and no subsequent leaking, recheck torque at your oil change inetervals so it stays tight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question, I got the install done, torqued the pattern the fsm said to, everything was good. But the exhaust front gasket, the one between the manifold and the down pipe is too big, like it won't fit in between both when together... It's the same part number autozone and orielys is pulling up for my year/model... Is there a trick to that gasket? When I go to put it on the manifold, the gasket is sitting right next the two studs touching, making it impossible to push the downpipe up to mate.... I said screw it and gave up on it and just finished the install without that gasket. I started my engine to check for leaks, didn't find any around exhaust gasket but the downpipe one had hot exhaust around it... Any suggestions on what gasket will fit?

This is the one the auto parts store gave me
Auto part Piston ring Bearing Metal

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yeah I bought one of those too just to find out the OE original manifold did not need one. Great I now have a spare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts