Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my exhaust manifold has a crack in it. my question is if anyone has used a cheapo off of ebay and if they had any luck with it. how many miles has it lasted so far. how easy/hard was the replacement. which company was it from any special tools needed.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
:D I heard good things about the ebay ones with the flex pipes.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
BTW welcome!:wavey:

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
There's a site that offers them for like 100.00. I can't remember it offhand, but I know a few memebers have used them with no problems.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I actually have an Ebay manifold. I've had it on for about 2 years now with no problems what so ever. Paid something like 80 bucks for it including shipping.

It did take a little bit of fitting to get it on exactly right, but the gasket was good and it hasn't warped or tried to back bolts out at all.

There just isn't a header setup that provides enough of a gain over stock for the price they are asking for them in my opinion.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just bought that ebay manifold last night, I hope I can install it myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the manifold actually looks like a header so i thought i would try an ebay manifold if most people who tried them were satisfied.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
They all pretty much look the same. The differences are supposed to come from the materials, the quality, and the coatings.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
what size engine do you have? from what I've understood from previous threads is that the 4.0L have headers stock and the 2.5L have manifolds

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
They all pretty much look the same. The differences are supposed to come from the materials, the quality, and the coatings.
they do pretty much the same job but dont look the same.. manifolds are cut from a block of metal or they are made from melted metal and they are much thicker while headers are made from bent and welded steel/stainless steel thin but strong piping.

From what i've seen headers are good for natural aspiration engines. Headers can be also used for boosted engines but the piping is thicker. Manifolds are used for many stock applications or low turboed vehicles. Manifolds tend to run quieter since the walls are thicker also they are faster and cheaper to make.

Headers

manifold

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Trip,

In a jeep bro, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. The manifold and replacement headers look virtually identical. The stock exhaust manifolds don't look like what you posted either.

they do pretty much the same job but dont look the same.. manifolds are cut from a block of metal or they are made from melted metal and they are much thicker while headers are made from bent and welded steel/stainless steel thin but strong piping.

From what i've seen headers are good for natural aspiration engines. Headers can be also used for boosted engines but the piping is thicker. Manifolds are used for many stock applications or low turboed vehicles. Manifolds tend to run quieter since the walls are thicker also they are faster and cheaper to make.

Headers

manifold

·
Registered
39 Posts
exhaust manifold problems..

My exhaust manifold is cracked...Jeep dealer diagnosed it...they want $750 (ouch)....I have been riding at least a yr with it this way (sound, etc;).
They said I could drive it with it the way it is, but that it will need to be replaced?
Anyone else have insight to this?
1) other options for a non-jeep dealer to fix?
2) any damage to the engine if I drive it further until I can pay for it?
3) anything else?

tks
My first post btw.1999 tj

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
This can be a DIY job if you have tools and a service manual. Nothing too hairy involved in swapping them out. I'd suggest finding a decent replacement.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
FYI - Exhaust manifolds are sand cast and then machined. Headers are tube steel that is mandrel bent and welded.

Manifolds have more mass and can absorb heat better. Headers have less mass and radiate more heat.

Manifolds are typically not port matched to the head(s) and have more flow resistance. Headers are typically port matched and are specificaly designed to reduce flow = more hp.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bought a $100 special and had it replaced in about an hour with no difficulty. I'd never done anything like that before. Just label everything you undo first.

It was really easy.

Mine's a 97 4.0 with a little over 100k on the clock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man, I went to a jeep dealer...quote=$750
Then I went to a shade tree setup (ok...good mechanic shop)..quote=$640
part=350
labor $58/hr...x 4hrs=243.60
EPA charge $5.
Whats up with this for an exhaust manifold?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts