Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I lifted my Jeep, installed a sye and driveshaft, dialed in all my angles, no vibes everything is looking sweet with one problem... Exhaust pipe would rattle on the rear shock... Blaaaaaa. Jeeps looking awesome and some bogus LOUD rattle ruins her whole aura, ya know what I mean? So I took matters into my own hands. Got a magnaflow and bolted it up where the rear cat was, and just bolted up a turn down after that. I cut the flange and hanger off the cat to use with the new muffler so it still bolts to the transmission hanger the same as the stock cat did. So since the exhaust pipe pre cat is 2.5" I got a 2.5" muffler and turndown so it's 2.5" all the way through now. Plus the muffler is all safe and sound behind the skid, no rattles with the shocks, I have easy access to all my control arms now for adjustments without that big dang muffler in the way. All is good. Plus it was like $100~ish in parts... Much better then the cat back exhaust systems I was looking at that would still be all in the way of my jams back there and still potentially rattle on my shocks. Anyway... Some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little loud while accelerating but not awful while cruising. With the space under the skid I could have gotten away with a thicker muffler.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
A turn down would solve a lot of issues but I dont like how loud they can be. I always thought it would be cool to route the exhaust up after muffler, into the cab, and then out the side. Obviously some work would be needed to cut the floor, weld a new tunnel for it, and cut a 2-2.5" hole in the rocker side of your jeep, but it would give you a ton of room, no worry of fumes, and no worry of melting the tank.

Reactions: Ironhead Jed

·
Super Moderator
6,638 Posts
it may just be the angle of the pic, but it looks like you'd be throwing the 150-200 deg exhaust right at the rear passenger tire.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mine was melting the shock boot. I removed the pipe behind the muffler and installed a turn down. Just be sure it's down and not pointed at the tires brakes axle or ca's.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 45 degree bend rotated a bit so it's going down and out, it's a bit in front of the tire but I may have a little more bend out in it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A turn down would solve a lot of issues but I dont like how loud they can be. I always thought it would be cool to route the exhaust up after muffler, into the cab, and then out the side. Obviously some work would be needed to cut the floor, weld a new tunnel for it, and cut a 2-2.5" hole in the rocker side of your jeep, but it would give you a ton of room, no worry of fumes, and no worry of melting the tank.
I like that idea, like stacks, you should try it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I strongly suggest you get a CO detector and put it in the cab. I had an exhaust leak not far from where you have your turn down and got a pretty good case of CO poisoning. Just sayin....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't even own doors for the old gal, she's got a bikini top and that's the extent of it. I won't be running into any co2 buildup issues inside the jeep.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
that looks way better, the heat won't be roasting anything and any splatter or soot should be directed away from your stuff.

on a side note: i know they mount the cat's up under that scoop too and it generates a lot of heat. the OE skids are huge and offer a lot of "air room" or air circulation. even sitting still the scoop is open at both ends and can allow heat to escape easily. now as we push up tighter to the tub and put a tighter skid that covers more space, we're constricting that air circulation space. i realize the trans is just ahead of the skid but it's all gonna be covered from the oil pan back when done.
anyone use or consider a heat shield between the pipes, muff and cat and the drive line?
for me, i'm thinking, any heat i can keep away from that auto trans is gonna benefit it. and is it possible that the radiant heat from the exhaust is a contributing culprit for the "can run hot while creepin" that the auto's been reported to suffer from.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
i wouldn't wrap it. i'd go buy a roll of cheap aluminum flashing. comes in diff widths so it'd be easy to get close enough to not have to rip the length. thin enough, it'd block and dissipate heat quickly. and light enough a few small sheet metal screws would secure it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts