Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 4L TJ its right hand drive, for the last 14 months I've had this noise that appears to be come from left side of the back of the engine bay (as you sit in the Jeep) around where the manifold joins the rest of the exhaust. I've resealed the join about 3 times and its not that. It only makes the noise when accelerating up hill or on the flat, gentle accelerating, slow speeds and high speeds cruising easily along it does not make the noise. I've visually inspected the whole exhaust system, checked all the manifold bolts, I fitted a replacement manifold last April 2016. I've had it up off the ground accelerating up to 110mph and it does not make the noise, it only does it underload on the road. I think its the exhaust, it sounds like an exhaust noise, but I'm not 100% sure, its driving me nuts as I can't figure it out. Its not a heat shield thats been removed. Any ideas, and should my manifold glow read hot within minutes of running?
Any help much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add, it pretty much runs OK, although accelerating hard I usually get what I think is a Cat smell.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts