Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

exhaust noise.

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JCom 
#1 ·
I removed the back seat on my '13 JK and found exhaust noise increased quite a bit. I believe the back seats/head rests must have been absorbing the exhaust noise before, but it increased when they were out. The only thing separating the cab of the vehicle now between exhaust pipe is a piece of glass and a tail-gate with no insulation. I took it into to dealership to get a free oil-change and I brought up the exhaust-thing and they said all connections were fine. I actually like it, my wife not-so-much. It now has a raspy sound above 2500 rpm and a little burble at idle. Anyone notice the same? Hard-top is still on and may reverberate the sound.

#2 ·
I actually thought I was going nuts. I have an '08 JK and once I took out my back seat the exhaust seem to change pitch. I am deaf so I can't hear it, but the vibrations are definitely different. It's a lower pitch and definitely has a rumble to it at idle.

I'm glad to hear (haha) that I'm not the only one! Thank you for restoring my sanity.

#4 ·
At least I now know why it started. I'm glad I caught your post so I was able to put 2 and 2 together. Sucks sometimes not being able to hear cuz I can't pinpoint if something is wrong. I let one of my buddies drive my rig every now and then to make sure there are no rattles. Another downfall is having the radio cranked up and head banging to the news....

Hey it has a good beat! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.